global hooks for yahoo

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by INTOXSICKATED, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i use yahoo! messenger with ytunnel pro. do these programs need to be allowed to "install global hooks"?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi INTOXSICKATED,

Generally I do not allow Install Global Hooks for any non-security app unless there is some loss of functionality or other error. Trillian causes a global hook alert when it starts, but I have not noticed any problems resulting from not giving it permission to install global hooks.

Nick

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  3. PG#1

PG#1 Guest

I could guess, might be wrong:
    Coders use existing libraries; some components are with hooking functional features by default (?) even those coders dont really care about them and let end users have seen such bothering and providing security concern from unneccessary such hookings not implemented intentionally in their programs.
    With PG's interventing, PG users now have seen a lot of programs trying to acquire some sort of hooking although that there are no ill effect without those allowed except for more risky to users if their windows pc are not protected by PG.
    So as security experts' advices: Disable all unneccesary hooking privilege for non-security programs, only turned it on for those trusted and must-be-on to work properly.

4. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Well for instance when I dont allow msn to use global hooks the moment I go into "away" mode I never go back unless I manually set myself back. I suppose its something about the global mouse hook that senses im back when i move the mouse.

So I set it to allow - no need to be 100% paranoid.

/DaK/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.