GlassWire

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Feandur, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It looks interesting. I'll give it a try in Virtualbox.

3. Feandur

thanks hqsec.

:thumb:

4. Minimalist

It looks like a network monitor tool. It doesn't have any firewall configuration - you can either set firewall on or off. It's nice graphical representation of your network activity, but it can't be used as firewall. I like design though.

5. Feandur

6. Feandur

OK - thanks for your interest and time hqsec.

feandur

7. Minimalist

You're welcome! Here are some screenshots of apps network traffic analysis:

IE.jpg

svchost.jpg

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Looks like a cool app, I´m still looking for a firewall that is able to alert about "outbound access", will check it out. :thumb:

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks cool program

10. It can also check for Virus and block a program (see pics), nice for monitoring

1.png

2.png

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is a great little app...I wonder what will they include in future paid version....

12. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

It is easy with plain vanilla Windows firewall to just block something. What is not so easy and to this we need some controllers, one in my signature that I like, is to block all not needed. Allowing svchost.exe for any services for outbound connections is just wrong. That General host process needs some restrictions.

I am not judging more as I use what I have and not interested to "try" lol. No matter how pretty and "informative" it sounds.

13. TinyWall cleans up WFW rules nicely :thumb:

14. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

Version 1.0.35 beta - (Dec 26, 2014)
    Hash # B6AB744E7CAB707C5ED738245BF2BF16

• GlassWire is now translated to German, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Chinese. Go to the top left "GlassWire" menu to choose your language.
    • If GlassWire itself is blocked from accessing the Internet the firewall will warn you that you may miss software updates and your suspicious host list won't be updated.
    • Rate limiting added for remote servers.
    • We fixed many bugs reported by users. Thank you for your support and happy holidays!

15. nameless

nameless Registered Member

The text in the image above is incorrect. The actual "deny rule" is in the Windows Firewall. Here is an example in which I blocked Registry Workshop:

fw.png

Also, the GlassWire user guide says:

16. Thx for the info, even better when it uses WFW

17. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Yeah, it's a pretty nice utility. The GUI looks nice but in some areas it gives way to convenience in preference to appearance, which is a practice I'm not a fan of.

I wonder what the pricing will end up being.

18. ronald739

ronald739 Registered Member

19. itman

itman Registered Member

According to the following from their documentation manual, all outbound activity is logged in the "Alerts" log.

Also appears that if "Enable tray notifications" is enabled, these should appear on the desktop.

I might give this app a try ..................

Alerts Tab
    GlassWire alerts let you know about important network related events that may affect your computer. Go to the main GlassWire window and then click the "Alerts" tab to view your alerts. At the top left of the window you can sort your alerts by date, apps, and type of alert. If you have an alert with a number on it on the alerts tab you can click the tab one time to make the number go away. You can also see under the alerts tab what alerts have been read or not by their color. To mark all alerts as read you can click the "mark all as read" button at the top right of the window.

The "New" or "First Network Access" alert lets you know when a new application is accessing the Internet. When you first install GlassWire you will receive many of these "new" alerts while GlassWire learns what applications on your system normally use the Internet. These "new" alerts will become rare over time. These first network access alerts are useful because if you suddenly receive a "new" alert from an application that shouldn't normally access the Internet or from an application you don't remember installing it could be a privacy or security issue. You can then check the alert in detail and see what application is accessing the Internet, review who or what the app is communicating with, then decide to block it via the Firewall or take some other action.

There are many different GlassWire alerts.

New Application Monitor – Alerts you every time a new application is accessing the Internet or network.

Settings
    "Enable tray notifications" allows tray alerts to temporarily appear on your computer desktop and alert you to possible problems. If you only need to disable these notifications temporarily you can go to the top left GlassWire menu in the main window and choose "snooze alerts".

20. itman

itman Registered Member

Not the lightest app in the world. Currently using 60 86 38 MB with no browser connection. A bit heavy for just a monitoring app.

Also what I do not like is it's using an internal local host proxy. So it pretty much owns your Internet traffic. Also install it's own cert. in your Trusted Publishers cert store.

Alerts only stay on desktop for about 3 secs. so could be missed.

Reviews:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2686...ool-tells-all-about-your-network-traffic.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/meet-g...ndwidth-internet-security-monitor-windows-pc/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NgjDiK7bc

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, I thought about installing it, but this has turned me off, I don't like this kinda stuff.

22. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I needed a network usage monitor so installed and used Glasswire for about a month.

I was mighty impressed at first , with the great package of features ..... but ....
    I wasn't pleased with the resource gobbling AND the memory creep ( leakage ? )
    and finally ditched it , for the same reason as Itman .....
    ....I was not comfortable with all of my internet traffic passing through it.

I switched to Networx and have been happily using it for 3 months .
    OK , fewer features than Glasswire , but it does what I need and I can "see" what it is doing

23. itman

itman Registered Member

What I like most about this product is it logs both domain name and IP address. Great for analysis using Robex.

I believe they recently fixed the memory leak issue; I have seen no evidence of it. But I also saw it uses conhost.exe, so add another 5 Mb to the 80 MB Glasswire is using. I suspect all this memory is used for all the fancy animated graphically features it has. Those are really not needed. Hopefully they will add a feature to disable many thereby reducing the memory usage.

I would say the software is 100% legit since their trusted publisher cert. was issued by VeriSign. Much better than a lot of third party WIN firewall products many Wilders people use that aren't signed at all.

The local host proxy concept is also used by a lot of other security software such as Avast. They can't unencrypt SSL traffic with it and that is all I care about. And I did check my Trusted Root store to make sure they didn't add a cert. to it. I suspect the proxy will also allow them to add some nice features later like true web filtering for malicious activity that will probably be in their paid version. I would be very interested in that since my security software is Emsisoft AM and it only filters based on IP blacklist and I use IE.

24. quietman

quietman Registered Member

That's the thing that made me reluctant to discard Glasswire , after carefully road-testing it for a month.
    The automated alerting of new outbound traffic struck me as being an excellent feature , even though I was only looking for a reliable
    network monitor at the time .
    I never went so far as checking certs , I just noted it as a potentially good tool that needed a little more development before I could
    start trusting it.

Networx does exactly what it claims and is very light and unobtrusive , and I'd recommend it without reservation if that's what is needed.
    https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/?lang=English

But if the developers of Glasswire have truly addressed the system resource issues , I'd be eager to give at a second go.

25. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Perhaps Glasswire's GWCtlSrv.exe and GWIdlMon.exe should be included in the total memory usage equation even though the added load on the CPU seems inconsequential. Yet I am still intrigued by the breadth of additional information this application brings to the curious user. The timely reports of version changes to other automatically updated applications is a feature I welcomed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.