Glary Utilities

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

How do you feel about Glary Utilities? I just checked it out and it makes me uncomfortable. Can't bring meself to have it 'Fix' anything. Recommended in a popular nerdy PC mag.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

this can be easily replaced with other programs, like Bleachbit, CCleaner, Autoruns, SpaceSniffer etc.

3. Rainwalker

Yes, I understand. Just messing around with the box right now. Read about Glary and wanted to take a look. There are very few reg cleaners I trust so.....

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive always found glary ok that errs on the side of caution and it does backup what it alters so theres no reason to worry about it.Its a dilemma really.If a registry cleaner errs to much on the side of caution then perhaps .its not worth using it.On the other hand if its too agressive it has the potential to mess up the registry (although all have this potential)Personally i use a combination of vit registry fix and jv16 ,which cleans much more aggresivley than glary.Ive never had a problem with either 3 of them.

5. Rainwalker

OK..thanks, used jv16 a great many moons ago.Never had a problem with it myself.That's one program that's hung in there throughout it all.

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

It's about Glary Utilities...I'm using it few years :)

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I like it, particulary the startup and process manager :thumb:

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I don't know... Glary is a copy of TuneUp Utilities, and I wonder why someone had to copy and to release freeware a pay software.

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive used tuneup utilities in the past and currently have a lifetime licence.Ive also used glary and dont think its a copy at all.Ace utilities ,glary utilities,tuenup utilities,they are all similar because they are cleaners/registry cleaners ,but i would disagree that glary is an actual copy of tune up utilities.Its probably half as bloated as the current tuneup nor does it have any priority restraining features like tuneup .Out of the two ,i prefer glary.

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I've been using Glary Utilities for years...Never had a single issue while using it.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use & trust Glary Utilities for years. Think about 4 yrs ago I got a free version of GUPro from them in some mass giveaway. And every new version of Pro loads right over it & keeps itself registered. Very cool.

12. Rainwalker

OK...good to know all seems to be well with it...thanks all.

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

ive used glary myself and found it a user friendly and non aggressive cleaner.
    I always use caution when using any form of registry cleaner.
    CCleaner is my main cleaning utility and i also use wise registry and disk cleaner and found these to be very safe and never caused any problems.:argh:

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've never liked Glary Utilities. The registry cleaner is badly written and has always had problems with false positives making it unsafe to use, contrary to popular belief. This can easily be verified by actually manually verifying the results of a scan, rather than assuming it is safe because your computer didn't have any apparent problems after cleaning the registry.

If you insist on cleaning the registry (since it is possible, but very rare for cleaning the registry to actually provide any benefit) Auslogics Registry Cleaner (free) and Vit Registry Fix Pro (unlimited trial - and be sure to disable the deep scan) are safe to use.

15. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Tune-up Utilities doesn't look anything like that anymore. The UI is completely different. I agree Glary has similarities to the old TUU though.

I agree that Tune-Up Utilities is bloated these days. But, the registry cleaner is still the safest I have ever used.

By the way, JV16.....a blast from the past! Didn't know it was still around. Thanks for the tip!

16. guest

guest Guest

I sincerely doubt that any of these suites can be more effective than my "maintenance combo" of the best apps on each related category:

CCleaner + Winapp.ini + jv16 PowerTools + CleanMem + Process Lasso Pro + PerfectDisk Pro + Game Booster + TCPOptimizer + Windows Repair (All In One) + xp-AntiSpy + BlackViper's Safe serv reg file + Autoruns + KC SUMo + Driver Detective + Jetico BCWipe Total WipeOut + Revo Uninstaller Pro (this one I'm still using the portable free version)

Feel free to prove me wrong!

17. roger_m

I dodn't like JV16, because even with the default settings, the registry cleaner gives false posatives. But other then than, all very good software.

18. guest

guest Guest

jv16 probably got the most powerful registry cleaning engine. But I agree that false positives are still quite common, even with the default settings. For example: when I run jv16's "Clean and Fix...", fix everything it finds and close the app, the next time I open Macrium Reflect Free, it will register itself with the Windows Installer again (no other side issues). Not a "serious" issue, but still a bit annoying.

19. roger_m

That is possibly due to the removal of empty software keys. Some software creates empty software keys in the registry, and in very rare occasions deleting the empty keys will cause the issues you describe.

In general it best to exclude searching for empty software keys when using any registry cleaner,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.