Giving up on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. So it's the user job to come to a certain forum called Wilders Security (not even a dedicated Linux forum), visit the UNIX subforum, and read posts made by a certain poster named Mrk, and it's the user's fault if they don't? Who is this Mrk anyway? Is he affiliated with Ubuntu? Him posting a review on a random forum that isn't mentioned by Ubuntu anywhere in official documentation, is called Ubuntu doing their job?

All I can say is, wow.

Sure. It's not Ubuntu's fault when it pops up an icon in the systray and tells you that you need to enable this and that driver to get full functionality out of your hardware, AND conveniently forgets to mention that not only will it make your videos tortuously slow, it might even bring GNOME down. And as you've so kindly pointed out earlier, I'm not the only one suffering from this problem.

You know, it's been fun watching your raving fanboy antics, but I think I've fulfilled my daily quota of troll-feeding, and should dedicate my attention to other posters who are offering help and constructive comments instead of those who come in just to troll.

@ Kerodo,

Thanks for the info. Downloading now, will report back on the results.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

"I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry"

Aw gee! Why don't you just go ahead and giggle.

"So it's the user job to come to a certain forum called Wilders Security (not even a dedicated Linux forum), visit the UNIX subforum, and read posts made by a certain poster named Mrk, and it's the user's fault if they don't?"

It is the user's job to find out ahead of time what they are putting on their computer. You have visited this forum on a regular basis and should have seen the review from Mrk. What every user should do is visit whatever sources they can find to gain the information they need to make an intelligent decision.

Just typeing "Unbuntu 9.04 review" in a google search would provide plenty of information. No need for anyone to take you by the hand and lead you here. It would have been easy to do but you chose to just blindly "upgrade" a working system and when I didn't work, you want to take your toys and go home. Fine. Go already!! And good riddance.

3. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Now why do people get turned off Linux? I've seen this behavior from Linux fanboys starting with the first versions of Slackware. The Ubuntu upgrade has glitches...such as not allowing the user to choose between UTC and local time for the hardware clock. This has been a sore point for many users since 1995 (at least, based on a Google search). No OS is perfect. Get over it. Most people don't enjoy tinkering with different operating systems, or even any operating systems for that matter. :)

4. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

So, it's OK for the Windows fan to dump on Ubuntu for what is his own fault? But for anyone to dump back makes them a horrible Linux fanboy? To bad.

You won't find me in the XP or Vista help forums dumping on those OS's. So, if you want to come here for no other purpose than to dump, then expect me to turn it right back on you. When you hit me, I don't turn the other cheek. I hit back.

If, otoh, he'd come here asking for help, I'd have been glad to do what I could.

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

The lesson to be learned from this thread is:

1) Research your hardware before installing any Linux distro (or any OS for that matter)

2) If you wish to buy a video card for Linux, always go with Nvidia. Intel and ATI both have major issues.

6. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Try a fresh install Eice and download the drivers from the ATI site. Linux works really well provided one's hardware supports it and though there is a steep learning curve, I find it so worthwhile that I wouldn't even consider returning to windows and whenever I buy my next computer, I'll make sure that it's Linux friendly. It must be frustrating to be in your position and I do sympathise. Hopefully, you'll get things working properly in time.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If there were any lingering doubts whether some posters in here were more than childish fanboys who are here simply to troll, I think they've been effectively cleared up now after his last post.

Disabled fglrx, did a Synaptic search for fglrx and zapped all packages, ran find -name *fglrx* in the Terminal and deleted all matches as well. Installed the ATI Catalyst package from the AMD website and ran my video. All went well for the first few seconds, until I made the mistake of maximizing the Totem window, and GNOME promptly went poof. :ouch:

Perhaps it's some remnants of the fglrx driver I didn't completely get rid of. Will do a fresh reinstall of Jaunty tomorrow and see if that helps. :(

EDIT: Jaunty now completely refuses to start after I rebooted by pressing the power button. Oy vey.

8. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

The first tactic of trolls and fanboys is to accuse anyone who disagrees with them of being one. But I'm not over in the Windows forum trashing it. It is you who started this and who continues to stay here and bash even after you claimed you were going.

If you truly want help, leave the gratuitous insults out of your post. My only insult to you was to say I would be glad to see you gone. And I would like to see that because you are insulting. Again, it was you who first made the fanboy accusation. My post merely pointed out your mistakes.

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I am at this very point in time upgrading 8.04 to 8.10 so that I can update to 9.04.

10. AKAJohnDoe

The upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 broke networking, so no chance to go to 9.04.

I suppose I might get back to it next Winter when I do not have anything better to do, but screw it until then.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would recommend a completely fresh new install of Jaunty, then install the ATI drivers off the ATI site, and see what happens. If you get the same results, then move on to something else, or back to Win.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are happy with Hardy LTS, no need to move to Jaunty but wait out for another LTS release, far better that way.

13. AKAJohnDoe

Too late for that. The update broke it. I suppose I could reinstall 8.04, but why bother before next Winter at this point. I installed Ubuntu to learn. However, some lessons teach one to stop and reconsider.

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Careful about that. The resident fanboy cum attack dog is on the prowl. :D Although TBH he's all bark and no bite.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

A bit of patience with Linux and some introspection and you are rewarded with an experience that can't be equalled, been on PC since 1985 and worked on Unix, mainframes etc. and can tell you that nothing ever satisfies like what I get at this stage of my life with Linux. All it needs is a bit of dexterity.

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just an observation: and I haven't done the upgrade or a fresh install yet: there are lots of posts here and there about issues with both upgrade and fresh install; maybe hold off a bit ??

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That seems like a good idea.

I managed to "convert" one of my housemates to Ubuntu when her Windows XP crashed and burned a month ago, and I think I'm going to sit out a few weeks or months before I do the upgrade process for her.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

No issues on 11 different PCs so far with fresh install, also three other PCs got upgrade from Hardy and Ubuntu, absolutely no install, before update, you have to make sure ubuntu-desktop is there and also remove any third party repos.

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

That is encouraging :)
    All to 9.04 yes ??
    AS a general rule I keep utd but for some reason there is a feeling for me this time there are more issues on more credible sites.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

All to 9.04 including a ancient dual XEON running Hardy.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Very true and make sure to boycott crooked companies like Canon who till two years after releasing their printer IP6210D is yet to release Linux printers, shame on them, OTOH HP works right out of the box, all their models.

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Very important thing:

Most Linux distros have live CDs, so you can fully test your hardware before deciding whether to install.

In general, Linux or not, I always recommend waiting a few weeks before installing or upgrading on production machines. Same for SP2 or SP3 for XP, same for new release of Ubuntu.

I'd wait for mid-end-of-May and then test. Maybe drivers and whatnot will be available then. Either way, you have at least 18 months to decide, so this means, you can skip at least 2 releases every time, while enjoying full support.

I'm running 8.10 and see no reason to move to 9.04 yet, if at all. Will see how things progress and what 9.10 brings. I have until early 2010 to decide, a long time.

I still have a pair of 7.10s which I can't be arsed to upgrade. I spent too much time tweaking them ... Long-term support is something I always like. More than 3 years is needed. At least 5 if not 10.

Mrk

23. tlu

tlu Guest

Only done it on 1 PC with formating the root partition with ext4 and using my ext3 home partition (which I converted to ext4 later) without any problems.
    This is done automatically during the upgrade process.

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Update:

Formatted, reinstalled Ubuntu, and put the fresh drivers on. Promptly chainsawed GNOME off at the knees again. No joy.

Guess it's back to Vista for now. In three months I'll have time to tinker again, and if Ubuntu still doesn't work: Fedora, here I come. Hopefully there'll also be working Chromium ports for Linux by then. :D

Many thanks to those who offered help, Kerodo in particular.

25. AKAJohnDoe

The machine I use for Linux is not a "production machine". In fact, it is an old Dell Inspiron 5100 with 1GB of memory. As I've made my living in computing since the mid-1970's, I am well aware that how I make my living and my life are two completely different things. I have Ubuntu CDs here (8.04 and 8.10), but will put them, and the PC, aside, waiting for a day when inside activities are more appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.