Giving up on installed Version

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NielN, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NielN

NielN Registered Member

I went through the annoyances, crashing, shutdown, on and on.. issues with the first versions of TI9 and gave up on it, and requested version 8. I got permission to download the last version of TI8.

I've since found that my computers with TI8 running crash a lot more often than before running TI8. I uninstalled TI8 from these machines, and will run the stand-alone version of TI8 when I need to backup. These computers are all running WIN98SE.

I checked the registry after uninstalling TI8, and there are at least a half dozen entries related to TI8 still there. In my opinion, the uninstall program should remove everything it put there.

Does Acronis have a thorough uninstall utility that completely cleans up the residue?

Thanks,

NielN

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

There are some good registry tools out there that will let you find and delet Ti's trail, just be carefull.
    Regedit is free, if you can find it or jv16 is good.
    BTW, I never install Ti, just use it from the boot cd.

3. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Don't you have to install T.I. in order to create the Rescue CD, or is there a way that you are creating it without installing T.I.?

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

I don't really remember, but I think I did without installing with Ti7. I think it gave me that option first thing.

5. NielN

NielN Registered Member

I would like to get an answer from Acronis on whether they have a clean up utility to remove the leftover registry entries after an uninstall.

NielN

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have to say, in my experience there are very few programs that fully uninstall themselves from registry. They should of course, but they don't.

A lot of stuff left over though, is the links to where Windows should find the program, data files and sometimes program window positions, classID links and bits that tell windows that tib files belong to TI. Not fatal, though of course they do take up registry space. It may be, that the danger of removing these may be that another program that uses the same ending no longer works properly -- that by the way is probably not true of TI, but if you write programs like me, you'll have 4 'c' compilers, 1 Delphi and 2 Basic where each associate the same file endings for their particular language group.

Whatever registry cleaner you use, make sure it has an undo facility --- just in case.

I use Registry Mechanic - which came with Australian PC magazine one month.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.