giveawayoftheday - domain expired!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by culla, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Nope, still no access as I type this.

2. bgoodman4

Running MB as I type. Thanks for the tip-----fingers crossed

3. bgoodman4

Beyond my comfort level, will wait patiently for things to right themselves, or not.

4. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Don't worry at all , won't screw up your windows totally anyway if you do it totally wrong, it concerns your internet connection.

Just copy your hosts file by dragging it with right mouse button and chose copy.

Then take the original hosts file, right click it , remove write protection , then open the file with a text editor like notepad and copy "LowWaterMark" "numbers" and text into your file and save it, it should then (apart from all the lines preceeded with #) look like this :

127.0.0.1 localhost

208.88.224.199 giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.199 blog.giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.208 files.giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.199 game.giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.199 www.giveawayoftheday.com

When you want things back to normal then just open the file again and delete the lines you put in and save it again, or delete the file itself and rename your copy back to "hosts" again....

Easy as pie , and it works.....

If you have done things right and still can not connect then just flush your DNS as suggested by Ronjor here.
    In that case what should you write in your command prompt is :
    ipconfig /flushdns
    and then hit the enter key

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Ron Carnell - http://www.cre8asiteforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47557

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. Fiat_Lux

Well... Because of "bgoodman4" 's "comfort level" reservations I will go a little off topic - actually this is never offtopic in my opinion... :

wheter you have any doubts about your own abilities or not then there is one thing you must learn (because things can break down or you could get a serious software problem), so what you must learn is :
    Backup !
    Backup !
    Backup !

Get a good backup program that you trust and get comfortable with it and and learn how to use it. It should be the kind of backup program that will let you back up to external storage or optical media and the backup program must be able to make harddrive image based backups and restore by using a bootcd or something to access your backup and make the actual restore.
    Once you got a good backup and you can use it you are ready to "rock and roll" , and you can loose a lot of your "fears" ...
    Ofcourse then once in a while you must take a file backup of all altered personal content and important files .
    And every time you have made so many changes to your system that you don't want to make it all again then you take a new image based harddrive backup, that is if you think that your system works as it should. You should however keep the old backup also because sometimes you might have had problems you were not aware of when you made the new backup so it is nice to be able to restore to something older. And provided you followed the rule to make a file backup (burn your files directly to optical media) of important files and all changed personal content once in a while then the problem really won't be that great if you have to revert to an older backup...
    Find your own personal favourite backup program that can do the task.
    I always go with what I think is most safe because of my "trust issues" .
    I read some conversation between user "CruelSister" and someone else, "CruelSister" got trust issues too but "CruelSister" 's way of handling her trust issues were , as I understood it , to alternate backup program every other time, but to each its own...
    Just learn to make backups , it is always a very good idea to have atleast one backup ready to restore your computer...
    :D

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's finally fixed..

8. Fiat_Lux

Not from where I'm sitting.
    I reset my hosts file to original , then made a DNS flush & tried to reach thegiveawayoftheday site but no go.
    I then modified my hosts file back to as sugested by "LowWaterMark" and Bingo! I'm on again.....

9. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    6:40 PM CST Texas USA not fixed.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

My ISP still hasn't updated its DNS record either. :cautious:

11. bgoodman4

I def follow this protocol, maybe to excess (if thats possible).

ShadowProtect, Paragon, RollBack Rx. Images to multiple drives one of which is kept off site. Also critical data uploaded to IDrive nightly.

Still, good advice that all should make a practice of regardless of our comfort level.

Thanks

12. bgoodman4

Thanks to LowWaterMarks advice I am able to connect again. Much appreciated.

13. culla

culla Registered Member

still not c'mon optus wake up :D

14. Fraggle

Fraggle Registered Member

Hi again..

Did you update your Malwarebytes?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but some people might have that problem, and without updating, it might not fix it..

Also has anyone tried checking their Advanced settings in firefox?
    Click tools and then Options.
    Then click the Advanced Tab, and under that, choose 'Network'.
    Then choose 'Settings' and tick the radio button that says
    "Auto-detect Proxy Settings for this Network"

So, it would be,
    Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings > "Auto-detect Proxy Settings for this Network"

Same can be applied in Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome, but applied slightly different.

This won't work for everyone, but it's worth trying..

Also, in relation to the Hosts file.. It wouldn't neccessarily prevent what is happening with certain sites (Not just GAOTD), but it DOES block ads..(That may lead to malware)

EASY TO FOLLOW

Courtesy of MVPS.ORG

It stops - contextual ads, pop up ads, malware, spyware, adware, flash banners, audio ads, web site statistical software (you're invisible!), and just about anything else which potentially slows down your page loading times..

First, open the Windows' hosts file, "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" in your Notepad, Try and avoid using Microsoft's Word or WordPad.

With the hosts file open, open the link to this text file (Always updated)http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

Copy the entire contents of that list into your hosts file, save the changes, and close the text editor. Restart your browser.

ADS GONE! MAGIC! Amn't i brill?

If for some STUPID reason there's a particular company or companies you'd like to see ads from (If you do marketing) ;) just open your hosts file and add a # sign at the beginning of the company's line. Save the changes and reload the page.

For Different Operating Systems, read this
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Hope this helps..

Rkill.. ;)

15. culla

culla Registered Member

its working now :rolleyes:

16. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Just started working about an hour ago by itself :blink:

17. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Finally working here too

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Everything is back to Normal :thumb:

19. Fiat_Lux

Back to "normal" here too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.