giveawayoftheday - domain expired!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by culla, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Saw this, but Only by proxy

gotd.gif

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

In so many words - maintenance! Too many folks think the web's always "ON DEMAND." Wrong!

3. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

fine here:thumb:

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Working fine here too :)

5. GlobalForce

SA (South Africa, San Antonio ..) ain't much to go on, let alone no ISP or whether Culla knows if it's a software block. We can only guess ....

6. GlobalForce

Ah - South Australia!

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Not working here in Ontario Canada as of this posting.

8. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

This does not make any sense :rolleyes: an expired domain accessible by proxy and fully accessible somewhere else :argh:

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It's simply an issue with the time it takes for propagation of the update across all DNS servers in the world. We've seen this very issue here when changing hosting companies. Some people quickly got pointed to the new IP address for the forum, while others waited a day or more before their DNS was up to date. The more time that passes, the more DNS servers will again provide the correct IP address for giveawayoftheday.com.

Just as an example, the domain name servers that provide DNS for our hosted servers (the data center where the forum servers are located) updated a few hours ago, and provide the correct IP address. My personal ISP DNS is still providing the IP address of the directnic page. OpenDNS is providing the correct name resolution, too.

10. brainrb1

Thank you LowWaterMark......... confusion cleared :)

11. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

It wasnt working with DynDNS, but its been resolved now.

12. culla

culla Registered Member

still not working here without proxy

13. GlobalForce

Patience Culla, patience. Be thankful ;) you're able to reach Wilders!

14. culla

culla Registered Member

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I tried it yesterday, first thing, after seeing your post, and never had a problem in QLD. :D ;)

16. LowWaterMark

No one or no area is specifically being blocked. My ISP's DNS servers are still pointing to the redirect page instead of the real website, as well. They simply have not updated to the "renewed" DNS record for the giveawayoftheday.com domain.

It looks like the registrar that posted the expiration page used a TTL of 24 hours (Time To Live value of 86302 seconds) when they put up their advertisement page. The normal TTL for giveawayoftheday.com is just 1 hour (3600 seconds). Funny how they they did that. It kind of ensures they get a lot of exposure to their redirect page even after the domain owner has paid up their bill. :doubt:

The full 24 hour expiration from renewal time, assuming the maximum for any DNS servers not updated yet, should be in about 5 or 6 hours from the time of this post.

17. bgoodman4

According to your post time it was apx 1:30 am, it is now 8:29 am and still not getting to the Give Away website. Evidently it will be a bit longer before things are back to normal.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Open the command prompt and enter ipconfig /flushdns It may not help in this case though.

Also, from the command prompt enter ping giveawayoftheday.com and see if you get a reply.

19. bgoodman4

The first suggestion accomplished nothing, the 2nd resulted in the attached which I don't know what is telling me.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      252.2 KB
      Views:
  20. LowWaterMark

My ISP isn't updated yet either. Apparantly, they are just using old cached values for a lot longer than the TTL would dictate. :cautious:

This is not an unusal situation. A lot of people have altered their DNS servers to override things like TTL to values they choose to use instead. I have found that some large providers are t he worst offenders. You'd think they'd be big enough and would be able to support reasonable TTL intervals, but, they seem to exaggerate them to hold cached values even for a few days at a time.

If you do a search on: dns servers ignoring TTL or similar queries, you'll find a number of people complaining about this situation. DNS needs to be updated, but, some servers are caching their data for days at a time. This leads to very long and unnecessary outages based upon domain/IP changes.

21. LowWaterMark

The IP address that was pinged in your CMD window was in fact the real and correct one for giveawayoftheday.com (208.88.224.199). You should now have access.

22. Fraggle

Fraggle Registered Member

Hi,

I had it too (DirectNIC) and the guy sitting beside me, was able to view GOTD no bother, on same network. (Both on XP)

I updated MalwareBytes, and ran it, it removed 6 detections, and i have no problems with GOTD now.

Also at home had the same problem on Vista and i got Antivirus Studio 2010.. For anyone that doesn't know what that is, it's the most annoying Malware in the world.. with sound.

It must have come from GOTD

Here is my MalwareBytes Log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5021

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

11/2/2010 3:18:33 PM
    mbam-log-2010-11-02 (15-18-33).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 132774
    Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 1
    Registry Data Items Infected: 5
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\forceclassiccontrolpanel (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSMHelp (Hijack.Help) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSearch (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

23. brainrb1

I scanned with every thing i got...Hitman pro, Malwarebytes, MSE and Superantispyware ...the result is no infections... and... still cant connect with out proxy..... so ...... we are at the same old place we started :)

24. LowWaterMark

As a work-around, for anyone that wants normal, non-proxy access to the GAOTD site, you can simply add the IP address and name to your Hosts file. That'll get you there directly, via your normal network access, without the need of a proxy.

Code:
    208.88.224.199	giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.199	blog.giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.208	files.giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.199	game.giveawayoftheday.com
    208.88.224.199	www.giveawayoftheday.com

Those few lines in the hosts file will allow name resoultion in your browser regardless of the state of your DNS servers records. And just remove them in a few days when DNS has fully propagated.

25. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Really..... "LowWaterMark" , don't you think that we are a couple of fools ?
    You could have come up with that idea and info yesterday and spared us all the waiting (my ISP hasn't updated their DNS cache yet either , and as you wrote they are one of the really big ones - was bought by Americans that ripped the company for what they needed/could and sold it to big money company) .

I confess I am the bigger fool , atleast you got the idea , I know about hosts files , that was one of the first thing I checked yesterday, my hosts file, to see if it were OK, but the idea to somehow get and insert the original IP address never entered my mind.

OK! - very nice and very well done "LowWaterMark" :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Just for those that do not know about hosts files :
    its located in :
    %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc
    and for 64 bit in :
    %systemroot% \SysWOW64\drivers\etc

(%Sytemroot% would be your Windows folder).

Wanna know how to reset the hosts file see this article :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034/en-us

Ohhh... yes... forgot a of links more about hosts files

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

http://accs-net.com/hosts/

Also you can search the net for Windows Hosts File

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.