give standard user permission to use crossover?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lurningcerv, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

I have a dual boot Ubuntu/W7 laptop. On the Ubuntu side, is it a security risk to give a standard user permission to use Crossover? My experience with Crossover so far is that once you give the standard user permission to use it, that standard user can then install any Windows software he wants, or at least any software that runs in Crossover. So it looks to me as if giving the standard user access to Crossover is like giving him the authority to install programs, which is exactly what you don't want the standard user to be doing. Am I right on this? Is there any way to allow a standard user to run Windows software without also giving him the means of installing programs?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The installations will be limited to windows sofware inside the crossover dir.
    If you install crossover in your home dir, and they use a different account, they won't be able to do it.
    In the worst case, you might need to remove rw or setuid permissions from the crossover binary.
    Mrk

3. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

I don't see how a limitation on where a program is installed mitigates the security risk. My understanding is that a program installed in any directory can be dangerous. I question the effectiveness of removing rw permissions from crossover would be practical, maybe could effectively disable it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.