Give away of the Day?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Anybody get these offers?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

What Offers :blink:

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

I do evaluate these offers daily jerry just for the record and to trouble shoot. If you have any particular query then just ask :)

4. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I have several games from them, one screensaver and I initially got Anvir Task Manager via them about year ago.

I have since migrated to Pro version of Anvir, the games and screensaver are still in use :)

I will likely purchase that screensaver when I reformat this system and can't reinstall it.

Same goes for at least one of the games. All in all, at least 2 software vendors are getting themselves a customer thanks to GAOTD.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The offers I received were for some software applications that I never needed. The other day I got one that was a registry application that was to tell you what was on your computer, etc. I knew I did not want to do anything to the registry, but thought I friend might want it.

He installed it and his computer almost crashed, and attempted to install something. He immediately got rid of it.

I had thought that the give away was legitimate, but maybe it isn't. Somehow I had determined it was not malware, but evidently I was incorrect. I don't know the source, and should not have sent the link to my friend.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. lordpake

These things happen. Heck I tried last saturday to run SIW (system information for windows) only to have my machine blue screen. I was stunned, I hadn't seen system crash in a long time :D

Safe software, recommended by friend :)

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When it comes to computer software my recommendations are worth what you pay for.:D
    But I do know that some applications don't work with some systems.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Afaik you are completely wrong with this statement about GAOTD.

Gerard

9. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

There's a very helpful person by the name of Ashraf who gives a write up most days on the software that is being offered and for the most part i would go with his judgment. Also remember their are always free alternatives in which he highlights and in most cases they are normally a better proposition

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Evidently I am wrong as some have said they have used it. Who actually sends the software? Is is someone like Gizmo?

I was typing as Nick posted. I like the help in getting freebies, but was very concerned that I had given my friend malware.

Thanks to all for the information. I feel better now.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Jerry, It's done in collaboration with various software developers. It's an opportunity for them to get their products on systems and to be seen. The software usually comes from very small developers, but not always. Sometimes you will see a major company like Paragon offering one of their "lighter" editions free or a version they are getting ready to upgrade. It's fun to watch and sometimes there's great free software. I would say, for me, probably 80% of the stuff I don't install, but it's still nice to see what's available and what developers are coming up with.

Lordpake: Slightly off-topic, but you mentioned SIW. These system info utilities are always fun to check out. If you've never tried this little freebie from Faronics, you should give it a spin.
    http://www.faronics.com/html/SysProfiler.asp

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the information. I did not remember how I got on the distribution list, but asked to be removed. Now that I know more I would like to get back on the list. I may have a link, but not sure. Thanks again, All.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You can just check it here http://www.giveawayoftheday.com or put http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/feed/ in your feedreader (RSS).

14. lordpake

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at that.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

16. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I check out the software offered on GAOTD everyday and have downloaded some that have worked great and that I still use.Paragon promotes software thru GAOTD so thats enough to tell me that its reasonably safe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.