Give Away of the Day- Prevx 2.0

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The license seems to be reuseable from my little experiment.
    I installed the giveawayoftheday version then made a copy of the registry information. I booted to a clean snapshot and installed prevx using the installer downloaded from the prevx homepage. I then replaced the registry information with the copy i made and the license tells me i have 363 days of cleanup/protection!
    So far everything seems to be working fine. Definitely a possible option should your pc crash and require a reinstall.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

There is no harm with free give aways, this makes malware and antivirus programs even stronger, Avast and Anti Vir has done that for long and benefitted from a vast and varied installed base making their program better day by day. Prevx has also had free versions but I guess this will actually advertise their program well and after this offer is over, many will go out and buy paid ones as well, Prevx depends on customer installed data for it to be a good program.

3. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Yeah, it's a nice program. Comforting to see that green light! I was a little hesitant about installing it, not so much because I distrusted the provenance but because Prevx1 did not run well for me.

Strictly speaking, I probably don't need it given that I've got Returnil and GeSWall running smoothly but seeing as it was there for free I decided to take a chance.

It's working nicely, I must say, and it provides another layer of security albeit doubts about it's efficiency have been raised recently both here in Wilders https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=178197&highlight=Prevx2 and elsewhere.

It updated painlessly today and that's a relief given that other members have been having problems ( see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179112&highlight=Prevx2)

All in all, the jury is still out as far as Prevx 2 is concerned. It certainly is not a stand alone AV solution regardless of what MS Security Centre may say. I was surprised to see that such a complex program consumes so little RAM. In my case though, it's still on trial and if I have issues, it comes off.

Still, it's reassuring to see the green light and if it continues to behave itself I'll be hanging on to it.

Cheers

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Jarmo,

If you hit Check For Updates and then allow it to update, you will get Build 53 (as of today), everything updates and works fine, and it will also fix that little issue you were seeing at shutdown..

5. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Yes, it updates and this was a reboot needing update too :)

One thing I wonder and have read no comments about in castlecops prevx forum.
    I run this thing in Expert mode, but it does not ask me for browser HTTP access o_O
    One would imagine that some people who don't run 3rd party software firewalls or other hips would like to block IE from running http connections?

6. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Where is this copy of registry information kept?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.