Giant AS & IE default setting (Local page)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kwesi, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi. My local page used to keep changing to C:\Windows\System32\blank.htm, even though utilities like 'about buster' couldn't find any trace of the infection. I checked recommended places in the registry, and used a process utility to see if I could find DLLs which were cited on various security forums, without success.

I then realised that Spybot had C:\Windows\System32\blank.htm as a permitted browser page under 'Tools,' and removed all such refs.

So far, so good. The changes to my local page have stopped, but Giant AS still has C:\Windows\System32\blank.htm as the default IE setting (I've corrected 'restore settings'). This shows up under Advanced Tools-System Explorers-IE settings, and Advanced Tools-Browser Hijack Restore.

I've tried everything (resetting Spywareblaster & Spywareguard settings, etc.), but can't change those default IE settings.

Can anyone help, please? I'm thinking that I need to change IE settings, but I tried that somehow (can't remember how), without success. I'll google that now.

Thanks very much.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

C:\Windows\System32\blank.htm IS the default setting for your local page - why would you want to change it? (Maybe I havn't understood your question!)

Or you could try this (got from the Net!):-

Changing Internet Explorer's Blank Page

Tired of looking at the page "BLANK.HTM" whenever Internet explorer can not connect to a site on the internet.

Try this simple trick to make this page remove itself whenever it is displayed. You will however still receive a error message telling you that you could not connect to the site.

All you need to do is to edit the file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BLANK.HTM until it looks like this:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Microsoft Internet Explorer</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    window.close("blank.htm", "Microsoft Internet Explorer")
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  3. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Okay, TopperID.

I can live with that information. But I seem to remember that I had a few applications telling me that that setting was evidence of about:blank? Also, I've got Registry First Aid on one PC, and Regseeker on the other, & both of them flag the entry up for removal. I'm pretty sure that Hijack This has previously tagged this as an 'R0' entry, too.

Perhaps the confusion started because I've allowed a security app to change my local page, & then other apps have queried it later, I suppose. I'll go off and do some more research now.

Thanks.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

About:Blank is a confusing name for the CWS Home Search Assistant problem, but we're stuck with it! It came about because the CWS bug was trying to kid people that they had the default setting when really they did not.

If you try fixing your genuine default setting with Regseeker you will find that HijackThis will immediately complain of the change! Try this: run HJT and note the R1/R0 entries it makes , then use Regseeker to 'fix' your local page (there should be two entries %SystemRoot%\system32\blank and C:Windows\System32\blank). When you run HJT again you will find that it has added two new entries to correspond with the two 'fixed' items. This is because you will have made changes to your actual default settings, which is precisely the sort of change HJT is looking for.

5. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks again, Topper. Much appreciated

I'll check that out when I get home (although my wife probably has other ideas, given today's date...:)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.