Giant Antispyware vs Process Guard???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Atomas31, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I'd like to know your thought about Giant Antispyware. From what information they have sent me, it looks like doing kind of the same thing than Process Guard but I'd like to have some opinion. Here's a copy from what information they have sent me :

Our software does not have any known compatabiilty issues with the list you have.

GIANT AntiSpyware is very different from the other antispyware applications you run, as it implements a Powerful Security Trust policy that will run on your windows box.

As you probably know, when you install any software on your machine, that software has the ability to utilize any resources on your computer, read data from your files, modify settings, monitor your keystrokes. While Windows provides the software the ability to do these actions, it never questions if the program you are running should have access to the potentially hazardous processes.

GIANT AntiSpyware fills this major security hole, whenver an application tries to access or change your settings at over 58 different security checkpoints, GIANT AntiSpyware will test it for known signatures and genetic fingerprints with our SpyNet antispyware neighborhood watch. After quickly verifying the signatures, Giant AntiSpyware will allow unthreatening changes to be made; block known spyware threats; and in some cases, prompt you to make the decision.

I hope this answers your questions, and if you have any others please feel free to ask. I would suggest simply installing our software and running it for free for 15 days to get a feel for whether or not you feel the extra protection we offer is needed.

Thank you,
    Ron
    GIANT Company Customer Support

I also like to know if it is compatible with Process Guard and if it could be a good complement for Process Guard?

Thank you,

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Atomas31, Sounds like a sort of sandbox.
    Only 58 different check points sounds a bit limited to me.
    Does it have driver level security?
    The best way to test it for PG compatibility is run the trial & see.
    Have you tried Advanced Process Termination against it?
    Does Googling bring you to any reviews etc?

You may be better off posting an edited copy of your post in the Privacy forums below.

3. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

To answers all of your questions :

Only 58 different check points sounds a bit limited to me.
    I don't know if 58 different check points is a bit limited but what could be the best number of different check points? How many have PG?

Does it have driver level security?
    I don't know if it have driver level security. In fact, I don't know what is a driver level securityo_O

The best way to test it for PG compatibility is run the trial & see.
    You are right but right now, I can't since I have uninstalled my paied version of PG (to much bug with the SP2) and waiting for the new version to come up:)

Have you tried Advanced Process Termination against it?
    I can't since my paid version of PG is uninstalled. Even there, what is an advanced process termination?

Does Googling bring you to any reviews etc?
    Not much because it is a new software.

Thanks for your comments Pilli,
    Atomas31

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again, Advanced Process Termination is a free DCS utility and can be found here:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products

Driiver level security is where a program such as Process Guard atatches itself to the system - The kernel level. This is below user and admin level and is therefore much more secure from being broken by malware.

The new version of Process Guard will address issues that SP2 has created and includes many other new enhancments. Due for release very soon :)

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

no way you can compare processguard with this antispy software.

if you cannot find any reviews with googling regarding this giant software then please try googling regarding

this is very important information and lots to talk about. no way you can understand this in one thread, eventhough dcs guys do explain quite good and make newbie friendly software, but honestly you will learn the most with googling and reading this forum. you will learn very very much regarding to very important issues on internet security. even I learn everyday again...I love it.

the best thing you can do is to run the trial of this giant software. and let us all know what you think of it in the privacy area. I would appreciate it and I am sure I will not be the only one.

Inf.

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

grab him get him he has the new pg hunt him dowen mawhaaaaaaaaa

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

8. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I've just tested Giant AntiSpyware for a week or so, and i must say that i am impressed.

First of all , you can't compare it with Process Guard, but more with
    Ad-Aware and SpyBot.

For what i have seen, it wouldn't be a surprise for me that this will be a serious competitor of those 2 products.

After sweeping my systems with both of them, it still found some serious spyware.

There is a 'approach' in this tool that looks very similar
    to "first-alert" which you can use with Mailwasher. (it's name = SPYNET)

And it is better in preventing infections/problems with Spyware!

All (suspected) malware found can be auto-submitted to this server(s)
    and there are some very nice extra features too.

So, 1 of the checkpoints they refer to is: "changes in the system".

For what i have seen makes me seriously thinking about buying a license.

(Performance impact with scan is acceptable for me)

Is there anyone who knows more about the performance impact
    of the Giant Antispyware agents ? (read memory usage) ??

9. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

HI,

I bought it and am very happy with it. There's much more to this program than meets the eye and it's got a lot going for it. Only ever found 1 false positive but you can submit files via the program and get an answer within 24 hours or earlier. They also have a spy research centre:http://www.giantcompany.com/antispyware/research/

which I found extremely educational and useful. The program really goes to town on educating users about security and I love it.

When you submit a report you get an astronomical report where you can view just about every process on your pc, what it does and whether it is legitimate or not.

Yes it's a new program but not by an unknown company and I'm very impressed with it.

Advice: Download it and have a GOOD LOOK UNDER THE HOOD. It's not just an antispyware program. There's other tools and plenty of your system's weaknesses can be viewed in the 'Systems Explorer section. I think this version competes very well with other progs out there and the next version may even take some limelight away from them.

Dave

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK, OK so it's a good program but as was said earlier it is not really relevant to Process Guard more to anti spyware products
    If you wish to discuss it in more detail please start another thread in an appropriate forum.

This thread will be closed in one hour.

Thanks. Pilli

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.