GhostWall error

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by devspy, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devspy

devspy Registered Member

I just installed GhostWall 1.150 on a Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise. Setup terminate without any kind of problem, but executing GhostWall I got following error sequence:

1) Error creating ghstwall.fir in system32 folder. This is the default ruleset of GhostWall

2) Error creating GhostWall firewall driver. Without this driver GhostWall cannot protect you.

I think the cause is some Windows Server security feature that blocks \system32 folder. Please, help.

Thank you in advance.

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Hi devspy.
    I do not beleive it's directly related to windows server but rather to 64 bit.
    Microsoft block custom 64 bit driver from loading in order to solve problem regarding rootkit and bad driver compagny.

Jason found a way to bypass it wich proove that MS patching is inneficient.
    The way to bypass it allow jason to release some 64 bit driver based application such as GSS ans Ghostwall.

A recent security upgrade from MS broken the opening Jason used, making it'S product void on 64 bit. Rigth now Jason is busy releasing the next gss beta but 64 bit support will return *soon*

All you can do if you want Ghost Security product on your 64 bit system is to uninstall the hotfix. This describe the siutiation for appdefend but it may be valid for all 64 bit driver release by Jason:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135755

3. devspy

devspy Registered Member

Thank you for complete answer. I'll wait for the new GhostWall release. When do you think x64 revision will be ready?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

As GhostWall is freeware I doubt very much that it will ne updated until after the release of the Ghost Security Suite which is currently under development.

HTH Pilli:)

5. f3x

f3x Registered Member

No problem ;)

I already told you when i tougth it would be released:
    Rigth now Jason is busy releasing the next gss beta but 64 bit support will return *soon*

We are all waiting for quite a long time the new release of gss beta.
    However this prove to be a much more dificult task than prevision so the timeframe keep being pushed to later. In best prevision the new gss will be released in a couple weeks. Then Jason would have to reverse engineer the new MS protection develop custom patch .. assure it's stable etc.

So what i recommand is to uninstall that security update as there wont be a new 64bit ghostwall before some months. (However the new gss should have some advanced firewal capability on a process basis, but dont solve 64 bit problem)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.