GhostWall and IM & chat programs: will they interfere?

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by jasonago, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

I am already using ghostwall and currently have Trillian Basic for my IM needs. I am just wondering if Ghostwall will not really interfere with any IM programs like Yahoo messenger? Is there a need to create a special rule for certaing IM programs?

I am planning to recommend GhostWall to my friends because ghostwall combined with a very good antivirus is already a practical approach that diminishes popups (like those in outbound monitoring and HIPS) that might annoy or confuse novice users.

But before I can do this, I want to make sure that GhostWall will be friendly enough to most network application. You see, I really like Ghostwall's out-of-the-box performance in a sense that little configuration is needed if you're just surfing the net...No other rules, no popups, no edit preferences, just install and work...(although we need to hide port 0-1 manually)

Thanks for reading my question...

2. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

For Trillian i would recommend to read FAQ or to have a look at a Trillian support forum, if this exists. Sry, but i don't use Trillian but MirandaIM instead. With Miranda there are a few additional rules necessary for ICQ. I configured GhostWall like this:
    1) Allow TCP outgoing and incoming local IP: Any, Local Port: Any; remote IP: 64.12.*.*; remote port: 5190.
    2) Allow TCP outgoing and incoming local IP: Any, Local Port: Any; remote IP: 205.188.*.*; remote port: 5190.
    And for file transfer:
    3) Allow TCP outgoing and incoming local IP: Any, Local Port: 21001-21006; remote IP: Any; remote port: Any.
    Good luck.

3. jasonago

Will there be any conflicts if I do not change or add any rule? What possible problems will arise when using IM programs? I have no problems when using Trillian although I haven't tried transfering files or webcam...

4. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

Using the default rules i guess that it will not work despite of that the first two rules of mine (1) and 2)) are covered in part by the first default rule "Allow all Outbound" in GhostWall. However, i guess you have to allow incoming TCP traffic also. Just try this out, maybe it works. I deleted the first default rule completely in order to to have more control over outbound traffic. The third rule (remember: for ICQ) is only optional if you would like to share files directly with other ICQ contacts. MirandaIM has to be configured for this so that it uses the ports 21001-21006 (other ports are possible of course). However, I didn't found a workaround yet about the drawback that with Miranda I will only be able to get files transfered to me and not in the other direction, when my contact is using the official ICQ messenger. (Sometimes I whish this would also be true in real life so that I would only be able to get and unable to give away :D :D )
    Up to now i did not notice any other problems using IM. I only don't like to use the heavy weight ICQ Software package.

5. jasonago

Me too I don't like the YM installer because its big...Trillian supports almost all networks with just 8mb install file...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.