GhostShell Beta01 - explorer.exe replacement

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Jason_R0, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I just wanted to also report that I managed to crash ghostshell last night :oops:

It occurred when a large number of copies and pastes of images in Microsoft word were going on. I will try to replicate it in a little bit and get the error since I just clicked close when the error box came up.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

2. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

Some additions from my side:

I had severe difficulties to take the snapshots using hoversnap (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm). Ok, it is a beta, too...
    Sometimes it refuses to work, displaying an error message in french o_O , sometimes it works regularly. If it refuses to work, i exited hoversnap via right click on the systray icon and started it again. Usually it refuses to take snapshots (ctrl+print) again. Quit hoversnap again, and restartet it - same result. After having this done three or four times, GhostShell crashed, leaving an empty desktop. I had to restart the computer with taskmanager, which is still accessable. Sometimes upon restart hoversnap may work, sometimes not.

After having taken the snapshots finally, i had difficulties to upload them. Using imageshack, one have to choose the file from your harddrive using the regular explorer-like menu. Once this appears the browser (Firefox) is shut down immediately. I had to upload my screenshots from another machine.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

this tool does not work on my pc. The taskbar remains empty.

Tip @ all: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Empty Shell and restart windows.

4. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

The "command-line" feature seems not to work for URLs yet.

As i prefer to update Windows manually, i'm missing the Quick-link in the upper part of the Start-menu in W2k. I have to use IE/Extras/Windows Update.

I cannot access the computer management console via start/settings/control panel/administrative tools. Have to use mmc.exe in GhostShell command-line (works).

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Try disabling Clipboard support and see if the problem goes away. I've noticed some odd behaviour with clipboard support enabled which I have yet to debug also, mostly to do with some cut/paste operations.

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Did you extract the ZIP with full paths? Was there a start/settings button in the bottom left and right of the screen? If not the problem was there was no THEMES directory, and no default theme to load, which means the ZIP wasn't extracted with paths correctly.

7. SystemJunkie

I do not use any designs/themes, I use windows rough, oldschool like.

8. topmoxie

topmoxie Registered Member

What is the purpose of Ghost shell?

9. SystemJunkie

@topmoxie: Explorer.exe is highly vulnerable against malware attacks, if there would exist a real cool alternative then the attack range of modern malware would be reduced.

A lot of malware exploits Explorer.exe, inject all sort of evil things.

10. SystemJunkie

I actually played the rules and activated the themes and designs to test Ghost Shell 0.1. Really nice design, unfortunately I must use permanently ALT+TAB to switch between apps.

But design is very nice I could get used to use it. Network Icons aren´t displayed in the right corner, PG and some other apps also lacks of icon display.

11. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Seeing as this goes straight to a zip file, and GeoShell isn't compatible with Vista: Is GhostShell compatible with Vista so far?

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

1- WOW
    2- :eek:
    3- Any feedback you want mr. Jason sir! Any updates, please report, i'll install them.

Problems:
    Avast! icon comes and goes, SSM icon doesn't show, etc.
    In desktop, also some icons don't appear, they show that uggly windows default "i don't know what file this is" icon. Pretty much what was reported, and you say your on top of.
    The Firefox taskbar just went a bit to the right (i presume it should be on the left most).
    I can't access Comodo Firewall with the icon. I can with Avast!, and SSM (clicking on where the icon is supposed to be).

BTW, is it supposed to show all tray icons without the collapse/ expand button?

My initial impressions:
    Easy navigation, more professional and efficient. Though the graphics are not stellar, THEY CAN WAIT!

Another Q: what are you going to do with the real desktop? Some kind of alternative to browse files or..? Leave it as is?

I like it, and like what it promises. If only i knew how to help.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

And now i uninstalled SSM, installed GSS Alpha and again :eek: , mr. Jason blowing my mind. GSS owns Windows LOL. I had to allow Windows?

BTW, i'm embaraced to find out i needed the GhostShell to run Alpha. It didn't run before..

14. SystemJunkie

I can see SSM icon, but PG icon comes and goes and several others,
    in the moment I write this text, ghostshell disappeared totally, lol, strange thing.

Beside GSS 1.2 a is cool, but app defend does not prevent installation of hooks.
    Far in my mind I also had a remembrance that Comodo firewall does not work together with Gss 1.2 a.

15. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Beta 2 has been released with systray fixes among other things.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I change the 1 for the 2 in the URL and download?

17. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I started a new thread, but yes, you can also do that. :)

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ok, found it. Thanks, i'll take it for a spin later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.