Ghost 10 --> True Image 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mel Slane, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel Slane

Mel Slane Registered Member

I just purchased a Dell XPS 410 computer with DataSafe hard drive and with Ghost 10 installed. The first thing I found out was that it was pretty much useless to me because the product CD wouldn't boot into the Symantec Recovery Disk. Of course if the computer won't boot you would need to be able to do this. The problem apparently is that the Symantec doesn't have the drivers for the SATA RAID HD controller and the Gigabit Network Connection.

I'm thinking of cutting my losses and installing True Image 10. What I'd like to know is whether I might have a similar problem with True Image 10 not being up to date enough to recover properly when the computer won't boot. Also, is there a True Image user out there who has a Dell like this or at least one with the same kind of hard drive ?

mel from Peoria

2. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Registered Member

Don't give up! No need to "cut losses", either. Go to support.dell.com and get the SATA drivers for your XPS 410. Expand the driver file, then place all the files onto a floppy disk. Note, these files must be at the root of the floppy, not in a folder! During your boot into Ghost, you'll see briefly at the bottom of the screen to press F6 to install SATA or RAID drivers (I forget the exact wording). Press F6 and load them off the floppy (Choose the RAID ones, not the AHCI ones). Ghost will tell you that it already has drivers for this controller, but DON'T believe it! Press "S" to tell it to use the floppy drivers anyway.

Oh, and if you didn't get a floppy drive with your Dell, you'll need to borrow a USB floppy from someone. Be careful which one you get because some brands won't work with XP. Sony is one that I believe fails. Imation / Mitsumi-based drives will work.

Good luck!

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

". . .And so the second doctor says the first, "Yeah, but that suit sure looked great, didin't it?"

4. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Registered Member

I guess this is a punchline to a joke that was before my time. I can only hope it helps the original poster because it did nothing for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.