Ghost 10 image with AKAs AyRecovery, Eaz-Fix or RB installed!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I'm aware of the monumental number of threads and the monumental length of some of the threads relative to image software in combination with snapshot applications and subsequent recovery. I also am aware of the boot sequence issues. That aside, I'm ready for my monthly backup for which I normally uninstall Ay, defrag and then backup with Ghost. The one thing I have verified is that defragmentation is not really necessary. The snapshot apps defrag mechanism is really efficient. JKDefrag finishes in just a few minutes as opposed to 10 or more minutes. I noticed this the first time I uninstalled Ay and every defragmentation (with Ay uninstalled) has been the same. So, can I backup to my external HD with Ay installed today? Thank You!

2. ratchet

Bump! Jo Ann or anyone, where are you?

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Hi ratchet,

I'm not too clear about your concern, but if you uninstall Ay before creating your disk-image I don't see any problems whatsoever using Ghost. About the only limitation of Ghost (that I'm aware of) is that you can't create an image using the boot disk, but that's not necessary unless you were thinking about capturing all of your Ay snapshots (in which case, you also have to do a sector-by-sector backup).

If you create an image with Ghost and Ay installed (which I believe is what you're intending to do), you will just capture your current Ay snapshot, but I see no reason why there would be a problem other than perhaps having to run FIXMBR upon restoring (and having to reinstall Ay)! ;)

Aaron

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  4. ratchet

Thank you Aaron! I'm not going to uninstall/install then, just create a new base and run and copy my Gh image to the external HD. To bad about Manny!

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

YW ratchet. Good luck to you (and Manny)! :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.