Getting rid of raid, using USB HDD to restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Coomkeen, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coomkeen

Coomkeen Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to change a mirror raid array to two seperate drives.
    So... I thought.... backup whole disk array to external USB hard drive, then change the 'raid' in the BIOS setup to 'ATA', then restore to one disk (the 'first' one) by booting from Acronis Boot CD.

Did all this, but when booting from HDD again Windows just keeps re-booting over and over, after flipping up a non-readable blue screen. Non-readable 'cos it's too quick!

Changed the BIOS back to 'RAID' and it boots OK.

Am I missing something here?

Otherwise, brilliant bit of software chaps.

Best regards,
    Ron

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ron,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We recommend using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows (depending on which operating system you use) in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. You can find more information on how to deploy the image of a Windows system to different hardware in this FAQ Article. You may also find this previous thread helpful.

Please read more on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in the corresponding Acronis True Image version User's Guide.

The free trial versions of the above mentioned Acronis True Image versions are available at this page.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide the link to this thread in your request.

We also recommend that you take a look at Acronis Public Knowledge Base.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full versions of the above mentioned products.

Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies (10 or more), please contact our Sales Team by filling up the Volume Licence Request form available at the Purchase Acronis Corporate Solutions page of Acronis web site.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  3. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

It's interesting. I performed a similar task going from RAID0 to normal single disk(s) operation(SATA drives). I had images of my RAID0 on both an external USB HDD and DVD. I simply removed the RAID0 configuration from the Intel Matrix Bios screen during boot which left pretty much everything in tact but with no specified disks in RAID. I restored a backup image of the RAID0 disk to drive_0 (my No. 1 Sata disk) and booted up to C:\. It's been several months since I did this so my memory may be sketchy here. I think I covered everything I had to do to bring my system up in single disk operation. If you must abandon the RAID drivers altogether and set up ATA, then I would suggest following Acronis's recommendation.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Was there no RAID mgt software that came with your RAID card or Mobo? If so, it should have a routine to "dismantle" an array leaving disks intact.

After reseting and saving the BIOS, you might want to shut down, remove the second disk, then boot so that Win doesn't see two drives trying to be the boot and system disks. Once you boot into Win you should be can shut down and put the second disk back in and you should be able to delete or add files, format or whatever. You probably don't need to restore anything.

I'd make a new backup once I had the single disk booting.

good luck,
    sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.