Getting rid of left-over EST registry files

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jlboland, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlboland

jlboland Registered Member

I recently installed AntiVirus ESET Smart Security 5, but immediately found that it was seriously conflicting with some other programs.

I used windows 7 (Pro, 64 bit, SP!) Add Remove Programs to delete EST, but found the problems persist. Upon opening MS Outlook the following message pops up:

"The add-in "C:\\PROGRA~1\ESET\ESETSM~1\X86\EPLGOU~3.DLL"
    could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by
    using Detect and Repair on the Help menu."

Via RegEdit I have searched, and found, multiple entries for "EST". When I try to delete same, I get repeated messages that I do not have "PERMISSION" modify,or delete the entry.

I am logged in as Administrator, with every right I can muster to bring to bear.

Does EST have an After-The-Fact scrubber that I can use, beg, buy, borrow, steal... et al to get rid of the REST of EST?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't think that gets these entries either, it never did for me...

@ jlboland
    Is Outlook closed when trying to delete that registry key? Having it open may lock it. I have never had trouble deleting that key. Also, after deleting the key you may have to reboot for Outlook to pick up the change.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

persoanlly i have NEVER found ANY removal tool from any av company to remove every reg entry. you might be able to try in safe mode or possibly log on as the main admin account and try it.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

The removal tool removes drivers AFAIK. I have learnt to back up my registry as I too have never seen any removal tool remove registry entries.
    Can you change ownership of the parent group? Or change it's value then delete?
    I use jv power tools which makes this a bit easier, they do I trial and a free version, you can view the full path through program removal and registry finder.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cant you just disable the addon from the options in outlook?

here is how for outlook 2010
    im sure disabling addons is similar in other versions of outlook to.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I have noticed before, after removal of eset no matter what I delete there are still bit and pieces in outlook and when I reinstall it remembers the spam counters from the time before, maybe a mod could explain how to remove the program fully.
    I have never looked to hard to be honest as I'm usually changing from eset v4 to v5 or vice versa.

8. xxJackxx

Good suggestion. That should get it. The thing that sucks about ESET when cleaning the registry more than other vendors is the name. If you search for "eset" you will match "preset", "reset" and so on. Searching case sensitive does not help as it will not match all keys. :(

9. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

That's for sure! In fact, so much so that I actually made a list of "ignore words" to use when searching (via jv16) for ESET reg entries (below). Inserting these words as "ignore", "exclude", etc., in a registry editor should eliminate a ton of spurious results.

activeset
    codeset
    duotoneset
    excludeset
    eyeset
    faceset
    forceset
    frameset
    ieset
    imageset
    languageset
    lineset
    machineset
    makeset
    pageset
    preset
    reset
    safeset
    saveset
    serviceset
    seset
    sizeset
    slaveset
    stateset
    valueset
    volatileset

10. stratoc

stratoc Guest

This is annoying me now. Anyone have any idea how to remove eset from outlook, Whatever I try I don't have priviledge. I used to love the fact Eset removed so cleanly, seems to leave quite a bit behind these days and the removal tool only takes the driver out.

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Ccleaner found it oddly on the third reboot.

12. xxJackxx

I knew Ccleaner would find that. I just forgot about it. :ouch: I have never found ESET products to uninstall cleanly, at least from the registry. Honestly Outpost is probably the only product I would give points to there. Most others leave quite a mess. But at least with ESET, a run of Ccleaner will get you in good enough shape.

13. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Solution:

Download and Install AppRemover

The free AppRemover utility enables the thorough uninstallation of security applications like antivirus and antispyware from your computer. Remove computer stress. Simply, cleanly and effectively.

14. xxJackxx

I downloaded this and installed a copy of ESS in a virtual machine and then ran this utility. All it did was launch the ESET uninstaller. I ran it again after the uninstall and it found nothing. All of the usual registry entries left behind. It sounds like a great idea but doesn't seem to actually do anything, unless I am doing it wrong. :doubt:

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

doesnt work for me either ^^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.