Getting new laptop windows 7 pro 64-bit

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by hjbyram, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I'm currently running FD-ISR 3.32.235 on my Windows XP SP3 desktop. I'm getting a new laptop that will have Windows 7 PRO 64-bit pre-installed, with the Windows XP Mode - no hidden partition.

Does anyone know if with the Windows XP Mode, is it still necessary to follow all of the Windows 7 instructions for installing FD-ISR?

(Peter - laptop from Velocity Micro)

Thanks, Heather

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Heather

Well done. You do need to down load that little boot fixer file, but that should be it.

Pete

3. carfal

carfal Registered Member

My understanding of XP Mode is that it's just a Virtual Machine like VMWare Workstation. Therefore a seperate running OS.

FD ISR will install with no added tweaks needed just like a real machine with XP installed.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Very true, provided virtualization is in the BIOS of the laptop and turned on. No virtualization in the BIOS, no XP Mode.

Best regards,

KOR!

5. aladdin

6. carfal

carfal Registered Member

Thanks King of Rapture. All valid points.

I was under the impression from hjbyram's post that XP mode was already setup. But you never know. :p

7. aladdin

Dear Carfal,

Very true!

The XP Mode was sold by Microsoft so people can upgrade to Windows 7 after the Windows Vista fiasco, where people stayed behind with Windows XP.

So, people were given a free license to Windows XP for their legacy programs. Microsoft tied it to high end computers, with virtualization in the BIOS plus the high end flavors of Windows 7 (Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate).

Today most laptops from mid-range up come with virtualization in the BIOS. But most of these laptops come with Windows 7 (Home Premium). To get XP Mode one has to buy and pay dearly for one of the top-end Windows 7. It is better to buy a separate license for Windows XP and use Virtual Box.

Best regards,

KOR!

8. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

Laptop has arrived - WOW - it's fantastic! WOW - Speed! Also absolutely magnificently packaged, no damage in shipping seems possible.
    I did purchase Windows 7 Professional, & the BIOS is already set up. I did the install of the XP Mode & Virtualization is there & all that.

I was not going to install anything until doing a full image backup, but have installed some things. I need a new external HD, will purchase this weekend. I have Shadow Protect installed, not familar with this new version. After the image backup, will try to install FD-ISR.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What are the specs?

10. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Specs are optical appliances consisting of lenses fitted in a frame or a mount with sides extending outwards to the ear.

Sorry could not help myself :D

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never knew that was an actual word not abbreviation lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.