Getting error 0x10093 when trying to migrate OS

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by ainuke, Feb 5, 2014.

1. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

Hi

I just bought HDM 14 to migrate Win7x64 Ultimate from an aging MBR HDD to a GPT HDD. The documentation on the website says this is a feature, and also when I went through the "what product do you need?" wizard, it indicated that Disk Copy would work.

I've tried to do this through Migrate OS and Disk Copy, but both kick up this 0x10093 error.

My source disk has a partition with the OS (275 GB), and then three other data/scratch partitions. The total of the data on all partitions combined is <420 GB, and the target drive is 500 GB (465GB after formatting) so space isn't an issue.

Ideally, I would like to just migrate the OS (and system data, boot, etc) to the new drive, but if the only way I can do it is to make a disk copy of the entire contents, then delete the extra partitions, I'm fine with that.
    But the above error halts the copy either way.

Please help. I've submitted a support ticket to Paragon, but have gotten no response after the initial "we have received your request, here's your ticket number."

Really pretty frustrated right now, but especially with Paragon support.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Are you attempting a migration from MBR to GPT directly? Another way would be to migrate the MBR disk to a blank disk or to a disk initialized as MBR. And then, if this migration is successful, to convert the disk to GPT.

3. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

Hi Robin-
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, trying to do a direct MBR to GPT migration.
    I also tried converting the empty GPT back to MBR, Migrated OS to it, then converted to GPT. Was not able to boot to it, nor did Windows see anything on it besides unallocated space. HDM still showed it with the copied OS and I was able to explore the files, but only through HDM.
    EDIT: this was the only way I was able to migrate without any hard errors.

Would like to do this migration by the book rather than a workaround.
    Especially since the Paragon site said that this was EXACTLY what I could do.

4. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Your PC has support UEFI and you can perform a "clean" installation of Windows on GPT HDD?
    To boot from a GPT HDD need a motherboard with EFI support and partitioning this HDD with the presence of special partitions: WinRE, ESP, MSR

5. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

Hi Fireworker-

Yes, my mobo supports UEFI. One of the reasons I wanted to migrate to GPT is to utilize UEFI over BIOS.
    From what it looks like, if I start out with Migrating OS as MBR and then converting it to GPT, I'm not getting an EFI partition at the start of the disk. (I can see it in HDM on another drive, but not on the drive that's been converted MBR>GPT). Perhaps that's expected, I don't know.

But if I start with the target as GPT, HDM won't make the copy without spitting out the error.

I am able to install and run a clean install of Win7 on the target disk using GPT. But with 400+ GB of apps and related data, I really don't want to reinstall everything.

6. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

FWIW, my mobo is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) and the target disk is WD 500GB Velociraptor.

7. fireworker

Well you can install Windows on a raptor (if a hdd is unallocated, then Windows itself will create partitions needed to boot), then replace the new system to partition old partition. Everything should work, only maybe that will have to reactivate.
    (I have performed this with Windows 8.1, but not cloned but restored from the archive)

8. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

Thanks, fireworker.
    This is what I'm trying. I heard back from tech support and this was what they suggested as well. It was what I had originally thought to do before I found the Paragon app.

I did a fresh backup image to lay over the fresh install of OS on the new drive. Will post back with success.

For the record, tech support says that the MBR>GPT migration is only applicable for non-boot drives. Although the the website seems to imply the opposite, if not say it outright. Whatever.

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

10. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

Yes; it does say that, doesn't it? This page is what brought me to Paragon.
    Reading down the page, though, one sees that it uses "Migrate to UEFI" (which is available through the Early Adopter program. (And by reading through the documentation, I don't know that I'd call it a "simple" 4 step process).

This:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/comparison.html
    Implies that it is possible with HDM 14 Suite; no qualifications are made as to whether it's a boot drive or not.

Further confusing the matter is this:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/
    Which states: "no matter the source or the target, drive copy 14 pro works in every migration"
    It was my mistake to think that DC14pro was part of HDM14. It seemed to jibe with all the other feature descriptions.

I'm feeling a little bit like I've been taken, right now. Especially since the solution is to copy my current OS partition onto a fresh GPT fresh install on the new drive. This could have easily been done with any of the other disk management suites I currently own (or any number of free utilities).

11. fireworker

If you have time (sometime in the future), then try to perform this operation (copy system partition to GPT) with other tools. Wonder whether everyone will cope well?
    IMHO after copying, Paragon auto run 'boot correct' (check BCD and registry files, if necessary - fix them). And it's not such a simple operation as might think. Especially since every Windows OS from Vista to 8.1 have boot mechanism is slightly different.

12. ainuke

ainuke Registered Member

How do I do this? The boot setup tools section is greyed out in the drop down menu.

Currently, I can boot into the new drive with the original OS copied over a fresh GPT install. Everything is hunky-dory UNLESS I have the original HDD plugged into the board still. If the original boot drive is still plugged in (regardless if mobo boot mode is set to UEFI only and/or old drive is listed after new GPT drive in boot order), windows will not boot. Startup repair won't work; nothing. I would wipe the entire drive and start over, but there're three other data partitions on it.
    Fortunately, I can plug in this drive AFTER it boots and have copied the non-OS partitions to another drive while I figure it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.