Getting Comodo to work with Avast

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chimpsgotagun, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimpsgotagun

chimpsgotagun Registered Member

Win8 Pro 64-bit, Comodo FW 6, Avast 8.

Comodo was installed first (Chiron's guide way), then Avast. After reboot, Avast isn't on. Not even after I allowed all the 15 .exe files of Avast main directory from Comodo.

What steps are required from Comodo to make Avast work?

Is there some steps from Avast side needed, whitelist Comodo or something?

In Avast's setup, I disabled Web Shield (for still possible conflicts with Comodo). Would it better to just enable "scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" from webshield settings instead of fully disabling it?

LUA and SRP in use.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

3. chimpsgotagun

Update, because I saw this thread referenced from another thread.

Combination of Comodo FW 6.x and Avast 8 gave me blue screens in boots. Not in every boot, but often enough. I think it happened in both Win7 64-bit and Win8 64-bit systems, but at least in one of them.

Also I saw one or two writers on this forum complaining the same problem in his/her system.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

no bluescreens when using avast 8 with comodo firewall 5.12 with all the correct exclusions in place.

5. chimpsgotagun

Ok, could you list all the needed exclusions, so I could try to make the same with Comodo 6.x (if I can, the settings department have quite different looks)?

(Might take from several days to couple of weeks for me to go through it again, tho. I have an image ready with that combination, but it still needs some time because those settings panels differ, and I have to detach/hide other NTFS disks/partitions just in case crashing boots mess up with mounted NTFS data partitions)

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I have not tried avast with comodo 6 ever.
    But with comodo 5 i just mutually excluded all of avast and comodo processes and folders etc in each program.

I made a global exclusion of comodo in avast .
    I didnt experience any issues doing this but thats not to say they wont appear.
    Hope this helps slightly.
    Thanks.

Also i removed phantom drivers from the device manager prior to installation and i used regscanner to remove remnants of other security software also.

7. chimpsgotagun

Ok. I haven't done much of exclusions from security softwares, but I understood in many of them you can eclude .exe files, in some of them whole folders, and in some of them possibly also .dll files but you might have to type the name of the .dll files by hand.

And exclude processes? You mean .exe files with that? Select all the .exe files from another programs directories and sub directories? Or also something else?

8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Registered Member

If you are running Windows 8 make sure you got CIS ( Firewall and D+ only. No AV ) to have complete control on your outbound connections. Also decide which Autosandbox or Sandbox you want to have active.

Both, Avast! Behavior Shield and Comodo D+ play well with these exclusions

In Avast!:

Open Avast! > REAL-TIME SHIELDS > File System Shields > Expert Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse:

C:\Program files\COMODO\*

In > REAL-TIME SHIELDS > Behavior Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > Browse:

C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
    C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfpconfg.exe
    C:\Program fies\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

In Comodo:

Open Comodo > Defense+ > Computer Security Policy > set:

C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe Set as Trusted Application
    C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswRegSvr.exe Set as Trusted Application
    C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe Set as Trusted Application
    C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe Set as Installer or Updater
    C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup Set as Installer or Updater

Also in Defence + > Defence+ Settings > Detect ShellCode Injections(i.e. Buffer overflow protection) > Exclutions > Add:

C:\Program files\AVAST Software\*

You can run these settings in Comodo because D+ in Paranoid mode and make sure you turn off Comodo BB while you are currently running Avast Behavier Shields, because they can both conflict with Comodo Behavier Blocker at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.