Getting away from windows

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 12joe, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12joe

12joe Registered Member

Hello, I hope someone can push me in the right direction.

I have been using windows for the past 15 years and I have it as secured as I can, but I still feel that it's never secure enough, I am constantly worrying about RATs. I am also traumatized since a government agency in my country set up a RAT on my computer a few years ago and it wasn't detected by any of my anti-trojan/virus/blabla software.

Point is, I want to get away from windows, but I am not familiar with linux.

I would like a live cd with openvpn and tor. I want to have a clean OS every time I boot it. I don't mind entering my internet and openvpn username/pass every time. I want to keep my windows OS completely disconnted to the internet and only use it for file storage and graphics editing.

Can you recommend any good live cd that comes with openvpn and tor?
    Thanks!

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Tails Live CD.

3. Please Help Me

Please Help Me Registered Member

Windows, like Facebook, is the ultimate invasion of privacy. Anyone who cares about privacy wouldn't use Windows. Period. Stick with Tails as the above poster said.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  4. merisi

merisi Registered Member

While I'm a big fan of Linux it's important to realise that by choosing it over Windows you're replacing one set of security issues with another set. I've learned that the idea that you're much more secure on Linux simply isn't the case unless you do a lot to tighten it up such as various web extensions, you're firewall and enforcing app armor. My only experience is with Ubuntu so I'm not sure how Tails works, you may be okay.

5. I wouldn't recommend Talis for every day use. Ubuntu 12.04LTS is a very solid release that can be used s a windows replacement. I suggest you start there, then maybe work your way to Arch or Gentoo based distro's which are a little more technically minded.

Start small and work your way up.

6. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.