Get started with FreeBSD: A brief intro for Linux users

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ronjor, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Someday I'll finally grab a drive, throw a BSD variant on it and check it out. I do get the feeling though with BSD that you need to select the right hardware to run it, more so than Windows/Linux. No enthusiast "official" sound card drivers for BSD (granted that the official are junk anyway)

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I use FreeBSD a lot, in that pfSense is based on it. And I need FreeBSD itself at times for building packages. The new FreeBSD 10.x installer (especially disk partitioning) is quite intuitive for new users. And I like the app management system. In contrast to most Linux distros, there are not just source code and packages. There are intermediate objects, which are much easier to compile than source packages, because they've been generally adapted to the system. However, it's my impression that FreeBSD still handles dependencies far less automatically than most Linux distros do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.