Get PG & send Scotty to Battersea?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by kwesi, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi, people. I am trialling, & will probably purchase, PG.

I already have WinPatrol (Scotty the dog is always on duty, sniffing out suspicious activity on my system). Am I right in suspecting that while WinPatrol and SpySweeper are pretty good at warning me about changes to my autostart menu and my browser, I won't really need WinPatrol to detect autostart changes, when I get PG?

Also, apart from my AV, two programs which routinely try to gain write and/or terminate access to PG processes are Spysweeper and CW Shredder. I think that there won't be any new updates to CW Shredder, and I'm thinking that Spysweeper, Spybot SD & TDS-3 should spot any CWS trojans.

Antivirus & CW Shredder attempts to access PG can't harm it, can they?

Thanks very much for any advice.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Kwesi,
    Process Guard does not monitor the registry but it will stop any new services or driver installs and, of course, any new .exe's, it will stop most keyloggers dead and will stop any of your protected applications from being closed which is what a lot of the newer malware tries to do.
    Remember one you have your security apps on your protection list then you can give them any necessary allows.[

QUOTE]Antivirus & CW Shredder attempts to access PG can't harm it, can they?[/QUOTE]
    Some security and other programs try to get info' on other processes this is quite normal and providing you are not getting endless logging can usually be ignored.

HTH Pilli

3. quaduong

quaduong Guest

Seems that if an allowed to run prg tries many times to have access on other protected by PG programs, PG runs itself into harden security mode which locked all execution of new .exe
    I have seen that on my box. Is that correct?
    thanks.

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

kwesi,
    You should know that Winpatrol only monitors a small subset of the registry keys which could be used to start softwares at boot-up. Check thread Registry Monitor Comparison You should consider to look for a more powerful alternative.
    -hojtsy-

5. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thank you Pilli and hojtsy for the very useful information given. I'll look into that registry Monitor Comparison. Much appreciated.

quaduong - I don't know the answer to your question myself, but I'm sure someone will come up trumps with an answer :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.