Get a F-Secure AV 2010 License (12 Months) For Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zetelo, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Ill give it a go.
    ive got plently of large files to test.
    f-secure used to be heavy but even FSCS 8 is lighter than kav2010 on my parents machine.

how often are you gonna be copying whole dvd's to your desktop anyway?
    f-secure is getting better every version. it used to have 19 processes in the 2006 version. the protection has always been execellent now its becoming lighter as well. you cant expect file copying to be the same speed without and with an AV.

would you rather have less of an impact and less protection?
    security is an inconvenience and always will be.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

no i wuldnt want that, but when u see most AV's on the market localizing their processes much more while still providing at least just as good protection, u hope for a little better than having to run 10 processes...

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

You 're right (i checked 7-zip's associations). :D Next time i will try it.

Resource wise, i am pretty sure that KAV is heavier. KAV was never famous for being particularly light on resources or scan speed ro anything else than detection. And in general, you 're right, it *is* light on resources, despite the number of processes.

Not often, that's for sure. I was just pointing out this particularity that i noticed. The drop in transfer speed wasn't dramatic, but the tendency (to rise or fall) was consistent. I noticed when i saw the win7 window estimating about 1 hour to copy and thought "oh dear". Granted, they were 11.500 items in there.

Really? :eek: Then it has been improving in deed!

Maybe you 're right. I haven't ran a "serious" antivirus for a long time (2 years). Twister and Avast with only the standard shield installed (most people wouldn't call that a serious setup) aren't exactly your average antivirus.

No. To be honest i 'd like less impact for the same protection, but now i am being greedy, ain't i? :D

Anyway, it's a good product. The GUI in particular is presenting only the things that it should. Very clean settings. And i like the fact that every aspect of the shields is optional (disable HTTP scanner, Deepguard, etc).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. Fuzzfas

Yes, that would be my wish POV too. I mean, from 19 to 10, that's a huge reduction they did and despite them being 10, they eat less CPU than AVG last time i checked AVG (before 8.5), but , it's still a bit ugly watching your services list going up by 10 processes after adding 1 product. I mean, i am one of those that disable Windows "not needed" services, i even remove my audio device's control panel from loading at startup or java's startup entries , just to keep things as lean as possible. I 'm pretty picky when it comes to this.

5. firzen771

ye im the same :D

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

My only dislike with F-Secure is the web scanner. With it enabled, there is a nice pause before videos load on youtube. IIRC, F-Secure was like this with previous versions. Other than that, I have always liked the product.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Patrick did say in one of the f-secure threads that with deepguard and browsing protection on webscanning doesnt need to be enabled.

@Fuzzfas, im fussy when it comes to services and processes to but i can make an exception for f-secure.

F-secure provide only what is needed to prevent and removal malicous software. other products add crap that isnt needed such as registry cleaners,gamer mode etc. plus other products dont have maximum protection settings OOTB. some products have so many options in settings it just confuses the user, for example each different protection having different settings aka web protection,file scan,mail scan etc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Normally I don't run it but, since it was an option i decided to test it out.

9. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

anyone tried FSAV with outpost free ?

10. dews

dews Registered Member

i used these both program together but it was long time ago i used them but i belive they had conflict with each other , they did not like each other.
    But maybe they upgrade and fixed, try go for it cupez.

11. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Well the site is officially down.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

OK well what about F-secure with either Online Armor Pro, ZoneAlarm Pro or PC Tools version 5 or 6? Any known conflicts with any of those?

13. Fuzzfas

Has anyone used F-Secure with Shadow Defender x64? When i enter Shadow Mode , after the first reboot, the PC almost hangs, because F-Secure tray icon can't load. It takes a looong time to load, after i manually kill the defender process in task manager.

I also had one "normal" reboot (not after SD), where the explorer hanged at startup.

14. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

This is a product only good on it's own at best IMO.
    If i remember with F secure installed Zone alarm wouldn't install and display a dialog to remove F secure.
    I had tried it,on a couple of computers,on one of them it disabled SPTD that came with Daemon tools,on one computer i tried installing Rising Firewall 2009(free)after F secure was installed and ended up with endless reboots and BSOD"s.

Apart for the sptd incident,which i couldn't reproduce 2 nd time,on it's own i think it may run good,but alongside a HIPS is trouble waiting to happen IMO.

15. Fuzzfas

@ Lodore

Ok, i don't want to further spam Vipre's thread.

I installed F-Secure again and now... it doesn't have the Shadow Defender problem. I changed CPU and new motherboard drivers. I also see in the update timeline, that they updated their engine in 23 and 25 (today). So it must be a fortunate coincidence of the 2 factors.

Anyway, i will email them back to scrap the support ticket.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

glad its working well now.

17. Fuzzfas

Me too. Thanks for the help and the "encouragement", which made me give it one more try. I don't think the CPU change is related, but the new motherboard drivers and the engine updates may be relevant.

I emailed them already to cancel my previous report.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Very well possible, because as I have posted earlier (I think), I have seen problems with F-Secure (2008 onwards) and some chipset drivers, especially NVIDIA chipsets........having the NVIDIA Network Access Manager installed causes many problems with F-Secure in a lot of cases!

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought the nvidia network access manager was discontinued?

20. Fuzzfas

Well, in my case it's ATI chipset on the motherboard, but i suppose the old drivers could give problems. Even more since Win7 is new and i have some doubts on how well the older drivers were supporting Win7. Basically i updated all drivers (chipset, audio, ethernet, video) before reinstalling windows and shadow defender didn't clash with F-Secure anymore...

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I haven't installed or used the NAM in over a year now so I don't know about any discontinuation......however, recent NVIDIA drivers *do* offer to install NVIDIA Network Tools and the setup files do contain stuff that looks very similar to NAM, and hence I have always elected not to install it since I encountered problems with F-Secure and AVG with it installed.

22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Just a FYI! I have a old Nvidia Nforce 2 and a Nforce 4 Motherboard both running in 7 without a hitch. 7 seems to be quite nice on older hardware and even better on Newer. :cool:

23. rickadkins

rickadkins Registered Member

Has anyone else who received the free 12 month F-Secure license in November gotten an email stating that their trial version of the software is about to end? I did today. When I activated F-Secure antivirus I entered the license code, etc. like we were told to do. So I guess I'm wondering if I should just ignore the email or try to contact them?

24. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

How light is F-Secure compared to NOD32, Norton, MSE or Prevx?

25. firzen771

id says at the very least as light as those products, although it runs quite a few processes, u dont really feel them too much tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.