Geswall + Sandboxie + Returnil

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gargoyle, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Registered Member

As I'm still learning about HIPS, I am thinking about using all three programs for things I download from the internet that I'm not sure aren't filled with malware. Has anyone tried running all three programs together? If so, any problems such as BSOD? And, would you say the setup is redundant?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I run GeSWall at all times (one of my main pieces of security software at this time)
    I fire up SandBoxie when I know i'm going into possible dangerous territory.
    But in order to do this without getting this error from SandBoxie I change the security setting in GeSWall to low,start SandBoxie then change the setting in GeSWall back to medium. Now I have a sandbox with all contents under the policy restrictions of GeSWall as well as my other security layers in place.
    Not sure about Returnil as I have never tried this app.

Attached Files:

3. Gargoyle

It seems you are running Sandboxie inside Geswall. Have you tried running Geswall inside Sandboxie and see how it goes? Like, download something using your favorite Geswalled web browser. Then run sandboxie on the application after it has the isolated icon. That method, Geswall inside Sandboxie, is what I intend to do.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Returnil will save you from the many BSOD's on your computer, if you read this :
    http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

Except for testing new softwares that require a reboot during installation.
    In that case, you will need your Image Backup/Restore software, if something goes wrong.
    If nothing goes wrong, but you don't like the software, you can't uninstall it with Returnil, then you have to uninstall it with the classical tools or restore an image.

You can also use a Virtual Machine to test softwares, which is probably the best way.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

No never tried that. My way is just extra protection while surfing,not testing a software. After testing software and if its not staying I rollback to an earlyer snapshot,like it was never there.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will never suggest to combine GE and SBIE9 very same type of software). Just use either one of them. Adding Returnil might be OK though.

7. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

I would say traditional/conventional wisdom is that you can probably drop GesWall or Sandboxie. And add something like Threatfire and ProSecurity. :D

8. Gargoyle

I'm still learning about classical hips and it just so happens I'm trying Prosecurity right now. EQsecure is something I can fall back.

Aigle, check your PM.

9. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Imho the combination of

ProSecurity 1.40
    GeSWall 2.6 free
    and
    Returnil -any version

makes for a rather omnicomprehensive and rather unhackable combination.
    You can drop anything else and have just a firewall and/or Router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.