GesWall Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ed_H, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That was my understanding, hence my curiosity when I thought you were advising to run it isolated. I guess I should have spotted the turn in conversation to AppGuard.

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

No fault on your part...I'm back on topic. :D

3. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

I'm going to be on Windows 7 with a new pc this week and it sounds like all my security has to be rethought. Other than Panda nothing I have will 'just' work on 7.

I suppose disabling UAC is just handing control of that over to Geswall though.

Anyone using Geswall on 7 and if so thoughts?

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I've never found UAC useful anyway. GW will protect very well. Are you using win7 64 bit? If so that changes things.

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I used it for about 2 weeks with UAC at full throttle. No noticeable problems that way either. My only semi problem was when using InPrivate Browsing in IE8. Upon closing the browser, temp files remained in IE8's temp storage for about 5 minutes before the deletion process began. In short, I liked it and it ran very very light. I'm not just ready to spend the money for it. Maybe after they update it.

6. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

I haven't bought my new PC yet but it seems likely to be W7 64 bit. Thoughts?
    Can I just choose to run it at 32 bits and is that a disadvantage?

Any feedback at this point is very helpful. The old dog I am running now has needed replacement for some time but I purposely waited out Vista because of reviews etc.

7. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

GW is not compatible with 64 bit yet but should be in the next release. I'm using windows 7 32 bit because nothing I do requires more than 3 GB of RAM anyway, so 64 bit is of no use to me. You might want to consider ShadowDefender if you go with 64 bit as it is a very effective virtualization program. GW served me well in the past but the support can be somewhat slow at times. Most 32 bit apps will run in a 64 bit system but that doesn't hold true with security apps. Don't assume a security product will work on 64 bit OS if it doesn't specifically state that it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.