GeSWall Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ed_H, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been using DefenseWall for almost a year and it has worked well, especially with other click happy family members. My only issue is that at times DW can be a little heavy with I/O and CPU. So, a couple of questions about GeSWall:

- Does it run lighter than DW?
    - Does it require a lot of set-up or does it run secure out of the box?
    - Is the free version sufficient protection wise?
    - Is it quiet with pop-ups like DW?

Thanks

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

defensewall is very fast here and geswall and defensewall are almost same type of app the only thing about the free version of geswall is that it can not terminate any untrusted app only with paid version and defensewall is easier to configure and it is already out the box protection with no user intervention and almost pop up less(almost no pop ups at all):)very happy customer here;)

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks jmonge.

I also like DW and it runs fast until I add a firewall like OA or Comodo. Then things slow down and I notice the heavy I/O of DW. This will be solved when DW adds outbound protection. Once that happens I should be fine with Windows firewall and DW.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IME, GeSWall is lighter than DW on both XP and Vista; although there is not a BIG difference between the two.

With a few tweaks/adjustments, the free version will give you very good protection with very few/no pop ups. Check out some of Kees's posts for some excellent advice.

See for example here and here.

However, some extra caution is needed with GesWall compared to DW as in certain circumstances untrusted processes can become trusted.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your welcome

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Second here, problably pointed to how to make sure Outlook Express is the only allowed to access your mail and Windows Adress Book (by the way this implemented in DW by default)

Yep, I am now running GW, but when you use the context menu of 7-zip to unzip files, the contect is handled through explorer. Explorer is a trysted program so teh files get teh status TRUSTED. Same applies when you move a file from one directory to the other.

When you are a bit tech/security savvy GeSWall free is a great free extra protection. For all other users DefenseWall is the easier solution. Preference discussion between GW and DW are as useless as preference discussions between OA and Comodo.

You will see Comodo users choosing GW more often and OA users choosing DW, due to the simple fact that the first two provide more manual control, and the last two provide easier automatic protection.

When you want to take the plunge of configuring GW, Henk(I believe 1959) and Aigle know a lot about it.

Cheers

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, not aigle, rather Kees. :)

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys. The only reason I was thinking of trying out GeSWall was to see if it was lighter than DW. Since there is not much difference, I'll stick with DW. Also, nothing I have read indicated that GeSWall support is anywhere near that of DW.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Geswall is free. Its not an HIPS-sandbox combo like Defensewall but the free version is a good standalone sandbox firewall.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

HIPS-sandbox combo is just like bells n whistles in case of DW. Infact both are very similar. If u call DW a HIPS, IMO same can be safely said for GW also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.