GesWall & Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blues7, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Based on Ice's recommendation, I installed GesWall on my wife's laptop today since Sandboxie didn't play nice with her Synaptics TouchPad. (I'm using Sandboxie on my rig.)

Anyway, I have it configured to isolate Firefox as well as Thunderbird but for the life of me I can't figure out how to have GesWall allow me to save emails in Thunderbird's folders when it's in an "isolated" state.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to the technical side (such as messing with registry entries) but am decent enough at finding my way through apps in general.

If someone could walk me through the steps which would allow me to set it up so that she could save her emails (without making the program permanently "trusted") it would be greatly appreciated. (XP Pro SP3)

Many thanks in advance for the hand holding. :cool:

2. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Anyone? :ninja:

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I know with the paid version there is some sort of application wizard which will set this up automatically for you. If using the free version, then you my need to setup some rules for Thunderbird manually. We need a GeSWall guru for this question. :D

Ice

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Hey Ice!

There's an application wizard in the free one too but I think you need to be a wizard to figure it out. :argh:

Well, worst case scenario is that the browser is secured which was the most important issue, and any link to the web from her email opens up an isolated browser as well.

The email is scanned by our ISP before it's downloaded and her Avast! AV scans it a second time, so even if I can't utilize the isolation of the email it won't be a total loss.

I like the way it protects the browser and any related downloads or drive-bys.

Thanks for recommending it when Sandboxie wouldn't work for her. :thumb:

5. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

thanks. Glad I can be of some help!
    Ice

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t use any mail client so I can,t say anything. May be Kees can help you.

7. Henk1956

Henk1956 Registered Member

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Henk,

I appreciate the link. I guess I'll just have to experiment with it some more until I can find some way of accomplishing this.

Sure would be a lot easier if another Thunderbird user was available to share their experience.

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Henk,

I just replied to you on the Gentle Security forums but wanted to let you know that I think I got it configured finally. :cool:

Wasn't easy or intuitive (at least for me) but by adding a bunch of info from the mail profile folder and "allowing" it, I was able to run Thunderbird as "isolated" and successfully store new emails in the folders and retain usage of the other features of the email client.

Thanks to all of you for your willingness and attempts to help out. :thumb:

Last edited: May 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.