GeSWall & IE 8

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by N2thuWild, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

I can not use GeSWall with IE 8 it freezes. Anyone else have this problem? It works fine with FF, Opera, Chrome. Maybe I have enough security without GeSWall?

NIS 2009, PrevxEdge,Winpatrol, SpywareBlaster. On demand SAS and MalwareBytes

2. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I don't use Geswall but I have had problems with Sandboxie and Defensewall when using IE8. There are new versions of each out that address the problems. It seems IE8 has a little different workings than IE7 so Sandboxing apps had to make some changes. I imagine that Geswall will be the same way needing an update to work ok with it.

3. N2thuWild

Thanks Threedog, Hope they do it soon.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

5. N2thuWild

Hi Aigle, I filled out a request on their support page; hopefully will get an answer. Thanks.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

In the attached file are my IE8 settings, you will notice that I have some 'normal' allow registry keys changed to Read Only, this to lock the security settings and to lock the default download directory of IE8. Locking the 'Download Directory' is only nessecary when you apply this Registry tweak, see http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/tweaklibrary/tweaks/10162/

(those keys mentioned in this link, to remove the save as options, are protected by general GeSWall settings, since they are not explitely mentioned in the IE console part)

You also have to add a value (e.g. D:\Downloads or your preferred directory) in the Download Directory value in HKU

Be sure to save your existing IE8 settings (export to text file), before manually changing these IE8 console settings). Strangely GW has an export, but no import function (o_O )

Above comments refere to the red boxed lines. The blue lines you can omit when not buying Music from on-line shops or NOT having AVG 8 as your AntiVirus (linkscanner exploit shield IE plug-in needs this),

Regards Kees

Attached Files:

• IE8.JPG
      IE8.JPG
      File size:
      130.6 KB
      Views:
    • IE8.txt
      File size:
      2.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  7. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

By Kees1958: Be sure to save your existing IE8 settings (export to text file), before manually changing these IE8 console settings). Strangely GW has an export, but no import function ( )

Via the application wizard in expert mode one can export and import rules with rst extension. It's in the help in the GeSWall console.

Quote: Additionally, you can import a list of rules from a file by pressing on 'Import Rules' button. Imported rules will be added to the current ones. A file for import contains list of rules that were previously exported by mean of 'Export Rules' button. Import/Export functions are useful for rules templates which could be applied for many applications.

Thanks again Kees.

edit: The only strange thing is when you export rules it somehow changes Network in SystemObject o_O

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I've had similar problems with IE8 and GeSWall. What really is strange is that the first beta of IE8, I had zero issues with GeSWall. Then Microsoft made some sort of change and I had lockups and problems where the browser would not open. I went over to FF 3.5b4 and never looked back.

Ice

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No master Yoda, thank you it is ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.