Geswall, Good and Bad

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

cant argue that point either. There isnt a magic pill, just some antibiotics work better then others.;)

2. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

one of the main features of SafeSpace i enjoy/use is the ability to move an isolated file wherever i like and SafeSpace tracks it. also, a right click will enable any file to become isolated.

the downside of SafeSpace (in my opinion) is 1) files, not folders are isolated (without making first a general rule) 2) specific rules (probably not phrasing this correctly) cannot be made yet, only general rules, which if care is not taken, one can leave coverage holes inadvertently. 3) development is very, lets say, deliberate (one upgrade in the 8 months i have been using it).

i guess i have said that to say this. being able to have your policy based security app track files everywhere, is a nice, desirable feature. :doubt:

Mike

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That depends of course how you look at malware.
    My goal was to get rid of malware as quick as possible and without wasting time on it.
    In the beginning I thought that this was every member's goal too and it took me awhile to find out that another group of members have another goal.
    They prefer to study malware as a job/hobby, they even infect their computer intentionally, to see what happens. They also test anti-malware to see if certain malware are killed or not.

What you consider as a nice desirable feature, is something I don't need.
    I don't even know when I'm infected unless the malware shows it very clear it's there. I only know that it will be removed and won't remain on my harddisk and of course I try to stop the execution of as many malware as possible immediately.
    I'm still working on that, my security is still not good enough, but I don't find the right anti-malware software to make it possible. There are too many anti-malware, I don't understand, they are all so vague, incomplete, not userfriendly, wrong philosophy, etc, ... :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

try geswall and create your own rules.;)

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This dream will never come true I believe.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

7. ErikAlbert

I don't quit easily. Besides I don't dream, I get ideas and try to accomplish them. Each month my recovery/security is somewhere improved. :)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes and it wil only continue to improve every month, believe me. :)

9. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Thanks aigle. Installed and trying out GeSWall pro for 15 days. Xfire rules need some tweaking (lost voice chat, ingame chat, doesn't even show what game I'm logged on to). But aside from that quirk, works as intended with general browsing.

One problem that would most likely arise is the rule, resource allocation with other programs not yet included in safe apps list. (Will try to see if I can make cabos work with limewire's rules as a baseline0

10. bman412

So after some days of trying GeSWall with it basically out of the box, I've decided to uninstall it mainly because of MY newbie and limited knowledge to create rules for the applications I use. I also noticed a delay when accessing files on my disk or just even opening up My Computer perhaps due to GeSWall and explorer.exe's interaction. All in all, for single task general browsing use, GeSWall does its job and I would most likely install its free version or Sandboxie on my sister's pc.

11. ErikAlbert

The most simple sandbox is DefenseWall, I hardly notice, it's on my computer and it also locks your data folders automatically, while on the internet.
    One disadvantage : you have to pay for it and an annual renewal of the license.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The rules that come with it are sufficient, at least for me.;)

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

It's not a disadvantage. If you buy piece of bread, do you expects that it will be freely extended when you'll eat it all? No, because bread's production costs money. So, why do you expects that software production costs nothing and you may extend it forever for free?

14. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

There's an application wizard that helps you creating rules. Have a look at the help files.

15. bman412

Yes I have tried that with Xfire but still lost Xfire's functionality. As I have said, GeSWall is not for me mainly because of my inability to set up rules and resources for the applications I use. And if GeSWall requires the user to input configurations manually then perhaps what it claims on its website is false? o_O

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

100% agree with you Ilya. There are very few Software I am willing to pay and DW is one of them. Especially with the service we get, it's worth every penny you pay for.:)

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have just renewed my license. Relative peanuts for the amount of time Ilya spends on the Forums/improving the product/product support.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have tried both and prefer Geswall. I like DW to but Geswall was right for me. I respect Ilya alot, and Brian knows how I feel. I will not argue the point of anyone going with either one. Yes I would love to see you buy Geswall, but as long as you buy one, you are way ahead of the game. It is becayse of people like Brian and Ilya that gave us alternatives that work. So salute, to both.:thumb:

19. ErikAlbert

Well, not everyone wants to pay for security softwares, they use nothing but freewares. I don't have a problem with DefenseWall, I recently renewed my license and I fully agree with you, but other users don't see it that way.
    I already saw posts of users that beg you to create a free version of DefenseWall.
    Sometimes users buy a security software, but when they have to renew their license they switch to a freeware or another payware.
    Each time I see alot of posts of a software, it is usually free or temporary free : Boclean, ShadowSurfer, PowerShadow, Returnil, ...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.