Geswall Free and ShadowDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no offense, but when the hell did this become a sandboxie thread.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Removed off topic post. Lets keep it on topic.

Pete

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Peter, I have always respected and appreciated your thoughts. I am curious if you have any on Geswall. Not in comparision to another product, but as a whole. I have really found it very configurable, out of the box settings are good, but it doesnt get with much attention beyond agile.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

GeSWall has some users in this forum: aigle, zopzop, MaB69, me ( :p) and I'm sure there are others.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I'm using it also, excellent app.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    Now speaking of Shadow Defender, friends oversea told me that he has obtained a new build of SD, which is yet to be realeased publicly. one the new features IS

No reboot required to EXIT shadow mode.

Is is a rumor ? I will get a copy to test it.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I aint sticking my foot in my mouth again.;) :)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sandboxes are still in their infancy. They need to be marketed a lot before they become popular. Before this time comes, some of them might unfortunately die.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well so far, out of all I have tried and/or own, Geswall is the lightest. I cant believe I had never tried it till now. Pisses me off.:cautious:

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, it's fast because it relies on Windows' internals for its "security engine" and the virtualization is minimal, meaning that accesses to the filesystem are done at "native speed".

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Which to me is a good thing.;)

internal to a specific application program: to view the file in its native format.

12. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I gave Geswall a try, I liked it but I noticed that when it was installed it slowed down certain aspects of my computer that annoyed me. For instance, with Geswall installed if I opened my computer it would take 5-10 seconds to display the drives and information when before, and after uninstalling, it was almost instantaneous. As someone who looks through their computers folders quite often, it became really annoying to click and wait. Maybe in a future version that can work stuff like that out?

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There is something wrong with ur system. GW is not supposed to do this at all, never experienced this.

14. Makav3l1

There is nothing wrong with my system, and yes I installed it several times after full registry cleans and getting rid off everything it installed and it did it every time. I don't know why, but Geswall made "my computer" s first page with all the drives load slowly. Every subfolder was fine, just the first page.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It ok Makav, as we know things work differently on different computers with different apps. Find what works for you and just use it.:)

16. Makav3l1

Have you experienced this?

17. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

This is the second reference to a Shadow Defender secret beta that I have seen on Wilders...
    Can we know whether this is true without any "cloak and dagger"?
    I have tried the current version which fails to install properly on my Windows 2000 system and I have sent a number of emails to the developer without reply.
    Does anyone know what is going on here or is this some sort of secret club not for members of this forum?

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think so. U can also try to post to their support. Or try it on a clean system. I don,t believe on reg cleaners, they can increase the mess rather than decreasing it.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

There is NO secrecy about anything here , at Wilders. Definitely there is such thing as secret beta testing about SD either.

I happened to stumble into a forum(mind you, an open one, public too,),there are few posting regarding to newer build, accompanying with set up file. How do these people get hold of this file, I have no clue, but I am certain that there is no secrecy implied .

Yesterday, a newer build 246 is released. Now it is out in OPEN, there is no secret/secrecy here , by all means.

I am sorry to hear that your Win2000 could not accommodate new build; I have had similar encounters: I am changing firewalls from Commodo 3 to OA free to PCTools now, just because SD's driver diskpt.sys causes damned BOSD.

I like SD, so I make some changes to accommodate it, wish me luck.:)

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Tony, or ShadowDefender, has no secrets or hidden agendas. My joking last night was in referencing my claiming things that didnt pan out. Tony actually only emailed me about it after it was out for release on his site. He is averaging a new version about every 8 weeks and I will go out on a limb here and say I am pretty sure the next one is going to be special from what we discussed.

As far as responding to your emails, this is the downfall to a small operation, or one man operation. But you can pretty much stay up to date here at Wilders.;)

21. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Thanks for your input Perman and trjam...I didn't mean to be critical...I guess just a bit disappointed that I couldn't get the latest Shadow Defender to install properly on Windows 2000 and the lack of response to my emails about the problem. I too am looking forward (with excitement) to the possibility of Shadow Defender with the promised functions. It is a neat little thing as it stands and with the additions could be fantastic. Although not technically minded I have been watching the development inch along. I'm hoping to use it when it's finally finished with Sandboxie which seems to be "maturing" at a similar rate.
    I realize that this is a one man show for Tony and that there are only so many hours in the day... I congratulate him for having created a great, unfussy, useable and useful software but I just wish the communication channels were a bit more open for "Beta" style feedback.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No problem.;) The thing about betas and small operations is, they really need to be done in-house. If something goes wrong, and they do, it might take awhile to get you back up and running compared to Eset,Kas,Avira, Norton or any other vendor with the resources.

23. fredra

fredra Registered Member

@trjam
    OK...you have peeked my interest.
    I decided to d/l and install SD on my "test" box.(FF+AdBlk+Noscript)
    It seems to work, however, when I "exclude" a large file OR a folder with large files, (>10G) it shows a negative impact on my system response time.
    I will do further tests and if I find anything I will send it off to the developer for his perusal.
    The concept and execution of this application shows promise.
    Just my .0000002 cents.
    Cheers :D

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I assume that this file or folder belongs to your personal data.
    You can also separate your system from data and give each a partition.
    Partition C: = Windows and Applications + ShadowDefender
    Partition D: = personal data.

25. fredra

fredra Registered Member

@ErikAlbert
    Your assumption is correct.
    I decided to have the D: partition (data) run in "normal" mode and the C: partition (XP+Apps) run in "shadow" mode.
    Thanks for your input.
    Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.