GeSWall and Sandboxie P2P

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Paaniic, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paaniic

Paaniic Registered Member

How can I configure GeSWall to protect me in Limewire/Bittorrent without having to delete the files I downloaded? What exactly does GeSWall do to the files I downloaded?

And how can I configure Sandboxie to protect me in Limewire/Bittorrent without having to delete the files I downloaded? Also is it possible to virus-scan using Avira the sandbox to ensure the files are non-malicious?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Add your shared directory (where LimeWire/Bittorrent downoad) as untrusted recource in the (general) resources part of the geswall monitor

Define your shared directories as forced folders

3. Paaniic

Paaniic Registered Member

Can you tell me how to do it step-by-step? :D
    Thank you!

4. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

I don't use Limewire/Bittorent, but whenever I download a questionable file, I do so in Sandboxie and leave it there until I am satisfied it is clean. That process usually involves (a) uploading the file to VirusTotal and (b) scanning that file with my on-demand SuperAntispyware (or some other similar program). My resident antivirus program is real-time, so it is scanning the file as it is downloaded.

Even after going through the above steps, I usually leave the file in the sandbox several days and then repeat the scans before recovering the file to my real system. I do this to in the (unlikely) event the file contains a zero day exploit.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I am not using them at the moment.

But the basic idea with GW is
    a) when you set the directory to untrusted, all file objects in that directory become automaticallu untrusted, hence you are protected

Same for SBIE
    a) Forced folder option tells sandboxie to run everything in a sandbox when started from a specific folder, hence you are protected.

The help guides of both aps should provide sufficient info to realise this yourself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.