GesWall 2.9 is here...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

:ouch: - What OS? Win7?

2. 2good

2good Guest

No I'm running XP home SP3 .

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Installed ver. 2.9 beta and it dramatically slowed down my system running XP Pro/SP-2.
    I uninstalled it about two hours later.
    My system speed is back to normal.

This slowdown happens every time I install GesWall, regardless of the OS used or other applications installed.
    I've read the posts here and in other forums praising GesWall and I believe them.

I "Ges" it's just not supposed to work for me !

4. 2good

2good Guest

As much as I say no to these programs I love to try them but after a while it just gets old too fast , they are ( sandboxie & geswall ) good programs from good companies but like anything else you grow out of them, its just me.

5. raven211

Not at all - ask trjam :D -- and sometimes me as well. :D

6. raven211

2 hours!? Give me 10 min. with some piece of software and I know if I wanna use it or not. :D I'm giving any software that I run or simply test a hard time right after my system is booted up (ready, set, GO NUTS!). :ninja: :p :D

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi raven211;

Some software hasn't lasted ten minutes on my computer, but this time with GesWall, I wanted to give it a real chance to impress.

I've install/uninstalled GesWall a number of times over the last three (or so...) years and I have never been able to avoid a system slowdown.
    Yesterday, the only other security apps installed along with GesWall were Sandboxie (I ran GesWall with and without it) and Malwarebytes on-demand (no real-time scanner).
    FWIW, I was also running the XP firewall.

It's easy to see how GesWall can dramatically enhance security for some, but (again) for me, the potential gain in security was not worth the substantial loss of speed and overall system responsiveness.

Same old story !

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  8. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

Hope Geswall supported for 64bit can be optimized....though IMO,generally, the loss of fluency can be ignored:) and after two or three fixes, we will got a stable version.(just like the serial fixes of 2.8.x)

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Can you right click the file and "run as administrator" to install?
    ellison

10. raven211

Understood - sorry to hear that, and thanks for your reply. ;) Now that you mention it I recall that I also simply have to give some applications more time to be sure. :)

11. 2good

2good Guest

you know this my first time & last trying Geswall , Lo & Behold look what happened, but then again I had few close encounters.

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No. Also if I'm the administrator.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Working well for me so far in Windows 7. Anyone know how this software compares to sandboxie. Are they pretty much the samething?

14. Emy

Emy Registered Member

I decided to install Sandboxie because Geswall 2.8 was not compatible with windows 7 (BSOD on startup). Now with version 2.9 everything is running fast and stable. On my computer Sandboxie slows down the startup of Firefox by 5-6s but with Geswall there is no slowdown so I'm going to sick with Geswall for now.

15. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Geswall freeware okay for me I giving the Pro 2.9 a run and see what's the deal with it. But Sandboxie was okay but they both do pretty much the same. Geswall is automatic for the browser browsing and such. Of course it gets annoying to access network shared printers, download shares and etc.. Always have to de-isolate to access the network printers if I want to print something. But still the program seems to be doing it's job.

16. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

yeh thats why i think the free one is perfectly able, all the chat, irc, office etc are all more of a complication than a benefit i feel, except from email of course but my emails are scanned and i am savvy enough not to open email attachments etc. the browser is plenty enough for me i think its great.
    the way i use it, firefox isolated so am protected. if i want to download something i run chrome unisolated and download, to save the complication, if i download when isolated it asks me to turn of uac so i just use chrome unisolated

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

to print from your browser click on it in web browsers in Geswall and add rule.

Paste this for resource name: \Device\NamedPipe\lsass then file and allow. You will then be able to print directly from your browser.

18. dell boy

is there a way i can label my downloads as trusted without having to disable uac?

19. tipstir

Thanks I'll give that a try.. well now I got to to all the network PCs but I hope this works..

20. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just curious trjam, is any security lost by allowing this rule within the selected browser?

I had this same issue last year and the way I got around it was to set that resource to system under resources and in the browser, add the rule to redirect for that resource. Not sure which method is more secure.

Ice

21. dell boy

ice is it because i have free that i cant label trusted things without disabling uac?

22. IceCube1010

I am using the free version also but I'm not using uac so I have no problem labeling things as trusted. I know using uac is good security but I'm careful not to install crazy stuff on my machines. So I disabled uac. I needed some security for my browser and that is why I use GeSWall. I have used SBIE in the past and like that as well. You can try their forums and I'm sure there might be a way around that.

Ice

23. dell boy

hmm, but disabling it gives you annoying notifications right?

24. IceCube1010

Not to get off topic here but there is a way to disable the annoying notifications in Vista. Can't remember how I did it, but if you google it, I'm sure you will find it. Geswall really is a great app and will protect you while you browse. Some people use it to isolate other apps but running it along side IE or FF makes your browser bullet proof. Just remember if you download anything from your browser, run a virus/malware scan over it before you label it as trusted. Don't worry about drive by downloads because they can't do any harm to your system. :thumb:

Ice

25. tipstir

GesWall 2.9 Pro with Avira PE giving me ahead-ache with Fps about GesWall has a trojan in the main exe. I have the same program loaded on 7 systems the all show the same results. Prior with the Geswall 2.8 Free no issues. I've ignored and allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.