Germans choose Kaspersky over McAfee and Symantec

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Arup, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

also, germanys own product GDATA, uses the kaspersky engine, not Aviras.

4. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Germans, brazilians, bulgarians and everyone with good sense. Maybe the reason is because one is better that other? :p

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well then I guess you possess an analytic insight that escapes me.

Since you actually wrote that line for public consumption, I suppose you really don't appreciate the level of ridiculousness that your statement achieves. A claim along the lines of "Goes to show one thing quite clearly........oranges taste great." is about as apropos - an unsupported and irrelevant non sequitur at best, and a number of other possibilities at worst.

Regards,

Blue

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

there's no need to disclose them :cool:
    kav is the 'best' :D

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Notice how all the comments with norton/mcafee complain about bloat?

And some guy fired a spark saying north americans are dumb for using Norton or Mcafee :D.
    Seems like the saying "Once a bloat, always a bloat(even when it is not anymore)".*puppy*

8. IS200

IS200 Registered Member

Are you saying Norton av isn't bloat?

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The only reason that I can imagine that you would consider Nav as bloatware is if you just don't have very much HDD space available. I don't care how big you say Nav is, and I agree it is a big program, but I have plenty of empty HDD. it runs light and does an excellent job. So really where is the bloat?? It runs as light a Avira on this computer and causes no slowdowns at all "except it is a tad slower booting up" and I am just not in a big enough hurry to let a minute ar so bother me. I have had Kav on here before and it did not run well on this comp so I will take the Germans decision with a grain of salt.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Norton is lighter than Nod32 on my machine, and i mean suites.

so where is the bloatware?

is it the couple of hundred mb it takes up on the HD?

or maybe a slightly slower boot up?

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

:thumb: :thumb:

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

BFD, its a beauty contest. I guess none of them are bothered by the extended attributes and the chkdisk problem, or that KAV can be deactivated by setting the date on the computer back either maliciously or via a dead battery on the motherboard.

13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Wonder if the vote was before or after Kav quarantined explorer?
    ZDnet Article

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think that matters ... AT ALL.

my windows crashes every week, yet im still a VERY happy windows OS user. :D

15. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Why bother what other people or countries use?are we sheep and the only way we can decide what to us is to follow others??:-I personally don't "give a monkeys" what the Germans,French,Chinese or anyone else uses:-I use the one that suits me the best!

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

superb, exactly what i do :thumb:

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Nice to know that our German Folks have selected their own top pick, in the mean time....

Second placed McAfee/Symantic are not about to lose their shirts.

In this real business world, the end result is often biased and cruel; the top-quality product is NOT the top-selling product.

Today, McAfee and Symantic have a good share of market, and improving. Perhaps this is healthy for K to exercise a catch-up game. :)

18. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Guess they like chkdsk errors and file attribute changes :rolleyes:

19. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Versions '03-'06, yes. '07-up, no.

To be fair, Norton has no one to blame but themselves for having to dig themselves out from under the bloatware label. Because of their dominance in the market with big computer companies selling OEM's with their computers they seemed to have gotten complacent during those "bloat" years. They just kept adding features year after year without regard to system impact.

Back in '05 (I believe it was) I noticed that Dell started doing something different. They were installing Trend Micro OEMs on their computers instead of Norton. There was some talk during that time that this was because of Trend costing less but I think it was more of Dell getting tired of the performance issues users were posting on the support forums. I know I had an issue when I first got this Dimension back in '04. With NIS '04 installed the computer felt slower than the P3 800MHz it replaced.

Anyway, I think this finally woke the people at Symantec up. With all these other AV companies coming out with security solutions with a lot less impacts on user's systems and having computer companies withdraw OEM orders from them, they had to do something. They rewrote NAV '07 (and then again with '08 ) and now have a dedicated team on improving Norton's impact and performance on a system. Also in an effort to tear the bloatware label away they hired Passmark to run performance tests on their products plus some of their competitors.

NIS '07 was a BIG improvement over '04 on this computer. NIS '08 is 15-20% better than '07. And believe it or not 360 2.0 promises to be better than NIS '08. This is the "performance team" in action. Now, as with any software, your mileage may vary on your computer. But I do know that what I have now is a whole completely different animal than what came with this computer.

Now about the Kasperksy issue, it is what I was referring to on another thread about how biased some of these tech news sites are. KAV's FP, which was on the same level as Symantec's Chinese FP (which was dutifully reported), never was reported on Neowin's site but this story about how Germans like KAV better does make the grade.

Go figure.

20. subset

subset Registered Member

21. Arup

Arup Guest

The sarcasm was totally uncalled for and un-necessary. Have you seen tests done in Russia where they shamelessly peddle their own home grown stuff over others no matter what the pedigree maybe. Same goes for many tests done across the world. Here I wanted to demonstrate that Germans have no bias for their home grown stuff and they showed their objectivity over all and country of origin had no bearing on the software being bought. Your defensive attitude here is totally ridiculous unless you have something personal against the Germans in general but thats your issue to deal with.

22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It wasn't sarcasm, and yes, it was necessary.
    Basically, your comments demonstrated nothing, they posited a position that is not supported by the reference.
    I don't have any issue with any nationality at all and I'm not defensive about anything. I do have a major issue with BS postings like the one that you started this thread with. Deal with it.

Blue

23. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

His comments DID demonstrate something, but since I can't very well explain what that something is without having to resort to what would likely constitute a personal attack, I'll just leave it at that.

24. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Nations are irrelevant

25. Arup

Arup Guest

My comments demonstrated fairness of the Germans, like it nor not. It maybe BS to you but thats a relative issue based on your judgement which is definitely partisan in this case. Deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.