German Symbols on a UK keyboard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Aug 3, 2004

I have to send an email to a german friend and i need to use the umalout sign (amongst others) in the email. I have a UK keyboard and i can not find a key setting with this on. How do i include these symbols while typing emails in both outlook express and Gmail while using my UK keyboard.

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Sep 21, 2002

On this page you'll find some of the more frequently asked questions I have received from readers who want to know how to type or view ö, Ä, é, ß, etc., or spell-check in German on an English-language keyboard. You'll also find answers for using “foreign” keyboards abroad and how to display German or other special characters on a Web page using HTML. NOTE: If you are using Windows XP or Mac OS X, see this article:

How do I get ö, Ä, é, or ß (ess-tsett) out of my English-language keyboard?

The problem of typing non-standard characters unique to German and other world languages confronts PC users in North America who want to write in a language other than English. Not all Windows™ users are aware of the several possible solutions to this monolingual dilemma. (Mac users don't have this problem. The "Option" key allows the easy creation of most foreign letters on a standard English-language Apple Mac keyboard, and the "Key Caps" feature makes it easy to see which keys produce which foreign symbols. For details see our Special-Character Chart for German.)

There are three main ways of making your PC bilingual or multilingual: (1) the Windows keyboard language option, (2) the macro or "Alt+" option, and (3) software options. Each method has its own advantages or disadvantages, and one or more of these options may be the best choice for you.

A Mac or Windows PC bought in the United States and other English-speaking countries comes with English as the default language. For most people that's just fine, but it doesn't mean that you're restricted to English only! Macs in particular have always supported an easy way to type foreign-language characters, and the Windows OS, while never as foreign-language friendly as the Mac OS, did offer its rather clunky Alt-key codes/character map method of typing foreign languages. You could also switch languages and keyboard settings, as we pointed out in a previous article. However, with the advent of Windows XP and Mac Jaguar (10.2), switching between English and other languages has become much easier. Foreign language proofing tools are also more integrated into many software applications for both the Windows and Mac platforms.
  3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Nov 9, 2002
    San Diego
    Hey, thanks for the tip Primrose! will come in very handy ;) I could not find the character map and that link showed how to find it and use it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.