German hate mail spam attacks stuns experts

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by NeonWizard, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

Mailboxes in Germany and the Netherlands were flooded yesterday with spam containing German right-wing propaganda. Spammers used the Sober.G virus - a mass mailing worm that sends itself to email addresses harvested from infected computers - to spread their messages as widely as possible.

Analysts think the spammers may have worked in tandem with virus programmers to hijack PCs and use addresses found there to build large distribution lists. This is believed to be the first time that right wing extremists have used spamming systematically to reach a broad audience. The sheer size of the operation stunned many experts.

Read Article

2. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

... Wow. What a bunch of sickos. :mad:

3. crimp

crimp Registered Member

I've been playing with GuardPost antiSpam and anti-virus product.
    I ran the testvirus.org tests and it stopped all but 4. Of which I have done some research and they don't seem to be of a real issue. They were the #8, #12, #24 and #25 tests.
    As a Spam eliminator it has reduced my Spam from 100 a day to maybe 1 a week. :D
    I looked into what was included in the Guardpost appliance and they are using ClamAV (not sure of the revision) but I read that it was in the top 5 ranked anti-virus engines in the AV-test.org 2004 testing. (Norton got 19th and McAfee got 18th )
    Pretty cool product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.