Generic Host Processes

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by seakiwi, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seakiwi

seakiwi Registered Member

After doing a Windows update yesterday (XP Home), I am now getting a heap of firewall alerts from Generic Host Processes wanting access to various Microsoft IP addresses, including a Hotmail related one. I do NOT have automatic windows updates enabled.

What exactly is this generic host process anyway, and why the heck is Microsoft telling things to call home without my permission?

This has just started since I did the update yesterday so I'm pretty much guessing that's not just a coincidence. Has anyone else noticed this?

(I am refusing it the outbound connection needless to say)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

seakiwi

Have a look here and see if it helps.

3. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

Thanks ronjor. I've always wanted to know that...

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you go to start/run/services.msc and put automatic updates to manual, or it may have been disabled, it stops that happening for me-Generic Host Processes wanting access to various Microsoft IP addresses. then when you next want to go to windowsupdate put automatic updates to automatic.

5. still_longhorn

I rarely put anything on auto. I just want to know where the enable options are...

6. seakiwi

OK, this is very weird.

As I said in my original post, I NEVER have windows update set to automatically update - NEVER!

Since I started getting these firewall alerts, I double checked my My Computer properties and confirmed that I did have auto updates unchecked.

BUT ... when I went to check in Services just now, I discovered that the automatic update service had been started. Now I did NOT start that service. Which can only mean that somehow, the windows update I did yesterday, started that service without my knowledge, and most definitely without my permission. I don't know how, but I KNOW that I did not start it, and nobody else uses my computer.

I have just tried to stop the service from running, and received an error message telling me "the service was unable to be stopped" ... I am about to reboot in the hope that a restart might fix this, but I am not happy. As far as I am concerned that is the very last windows update I will do. Any updates I need or want, I will download and install manually from now on.

7. still_longhorn

In sercices.msc, there are three start up type settings: auto, manual, & disabled. Unless totally disabled, update set to manual can be enabled by another application it seems.

8. isnogood

isnogood Registered Member

Seakiwi, I also had this issue. My solution was to kill the service process with APT from DCS (very cool free utility for such purposes :)) . Simple Task Manager did't work.
    Next, go to admin tools-> services and disable automatic windows update. To be quite sure, search in regedit all instances of corresponding exe file (don't remember exact name) and delete all startup entries. You can also use any of your favorite startup managers also. If you don't killl the service process first, it regenerates automaticaly registry entries, like a Hydra. Next reboot the machine. This should work
    cheers,

Isnogood

9. seakiwi

Thanks for you help people.

I rebooted after getting that 'unable to stop the service' error, and that seemed to fix it. Service is now disabled, unchecked under Automatic Updates in My Computer properties, and I have had no further firewall alerts.

I'd still like to know how MS was able to alter all that via a windows update. I'm reluctant enough at the best of times to 'let MS in my machine', but after this little incident, I'm even more convinced they can't be trusted.

Thanks for your help! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.