General Questions on PG3.1

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by iwod, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I am currently using PG3.1 Free version and i am very impress. I wanted top buy the Full version but i have a few questions to ask.

Would the memory / CPU usage be the same? ( Becasue it provide a lot more features )

And are there any more type of pop up screen apart from the current one?

And if it is possible to export the list of Program I approve so i can import it on my Xp CD?

Other questions non related to Upgrade

Is it because PG has to work at very low level. Therefore it can't use normal GUI components from Windows? Otherwise..............The UI is ........... A good one UI example would be Spyware Blaster. Plain and Simple

I still have difficulty understanding why a Program has to have many exe running in task manager. Can it be merge into one?

Any chance of lowering Memory usage?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

No, there is very little difference, as the other disabled parts are running but cannot be changed or added to in the trial version.
    You can see all the available GUI windows by reading through the help file :)
    Not possible at this time but you can disable ProcessGuard and then copy or .zip the pguard.dat and pghash.dat files found in the \system32\ folder. If you then re-install again disable PG and copy the files back to regain your settings.
    Due to it's nature ProcessGuard is not skinnable.
    ? ProcessGuard uses very low resources, you can reduce this even further by closing the GUI, ProcessGuard's protection will still be running.
    Each user account requires pgaccount.exe to run so that alerts etc. can be dealt with from within those other accounts.
    PG's memory usage has already been optimised and CPU is usage is extremely low. Remember that ProcessGuard is an extremely powerful tool in your security armoury with relatively low resource use.

HTH Pilli

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

On my system, I see the following memory usage:

DCSUserProt.exe 2340K
    2 x Pgaccount.exe 2492K each

and with the user interface running:

Procguard.exe 5272K

coming to a total of less than 13MB.
    The number of tabs on the main UI should stay the same - I believe the free version simply has some options disabled in the Main tab.
    See Jason's posts in the ProcessGuard v3.100 Released!!! thread at the top of this forum for upgrade instructions.
    Using non-standard components makes it harder to write a trojan capable of manipulating PG's settings.
    There are 3 processes involved with PG - DCSUserProt which provides the main protection, PGAccount which handles program execution protection and ProcGuard which is the UI. Having separate processes allows for more flexibility (e.g. PG can run without the UI being open and can handle multiple user accounts more easily). Tiny Personal Firewall (which offers process, file and network control functions) has 4 processes running for all its functions.
    As Pilli has said, PG's memory usage is already pretty low for what it offers (if you can find an alternative using less, please post details). If your system is so limited in memory that 13MB makes a significant difference, then it surely would have difficulties running Windows 2000 or XP in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.