General question about A-Vs and third party anti-malware products!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Because of all the ransomedware PCs Malwarebytes has saved for free, in the vein of a donation, months ago I decided to purchase the pro version to support it, so it's always enabled. I have only a SSD and ample memory so I don't even know it's alive. How much added protection do such products provide? Norton is my A-V. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  2. itman

itman Registered Member

Re: Feneral question about A-Vs and third party anti-malware products!

Really surprised to hear you say this since Symantec is agressively forcing all NAV/NIS users to remove MBAM. You presently won't be able to install either product if you have MBAM installed. Also once installed, the recent updates of either product will prevent the repair feature from running if MBAM is installed.

Check out the Norton NAV/NIS forum. It is loaded with posts complaining about this.

3. ratchet

Re: Feneral question about A-Vs and third party anti-malware products!

I actually did get the warning a week ago or so but there have been no conflicts or warnings since. I assumed they "fixed" one or the other or both with an update!

4. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I have NIS installed on my Windows 8 machine and I installed the free version Malwarebytes with no problems just now.

5. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  6. ratchet

Thank you for this! After reading the thread, I have kind of taken a compromised (no pun intended) solution in that I have disabled Mb Pro. This is not to say there could be some protection issues that I'm not aware of with Mb still installed. Indeed though, I absolutely would have had no idea there was/is a problem if I hadn't received the warning a week or so ago, as everything works just great.

7. malexous

malexous Registered Member

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...mpatible-with-Malwarebytes/m-p/965343#M239201

8. itman

itman Registered Member

God forbid. I just can't wait to see what the upcoming patch screws up:rolleyes:

The latest 20.3.1.22 patch is hosed. The WIN 7 firewall is blocking ccSvchst.exe hanging up the boot process and causing the NIS firewall from properly starting. It eventually sorts itself out and ccSvchst.exe starts up, the Norton icon on the lower toolbar turns green, and your finally protected. Symantec seems clueless about this and I don't waste my time anymore in that useless NIS forum. I added an inbound rule to the WIN 7 firewall to allow ccSvchst.exe which fixed the issue for the time being.

9. tookerjeff

tookerjeff Registered Member

I've noticed a few instances when MBAM free needs to restart in order to finish cleaning up malware remnants it cannot if Norton's Boot Time Protection module is turned on to "Normal". Has anyone else noticed this too?

10. siketa

siketa Registered Member

MBAM needs to be restarted when cleaning active memory process(es).
    It is not necessary for dropped file(s) and registry key(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.