General Consensus on TI 2009?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by M_H, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_H

M_H Registered Member

I've been an Acronis user (TI & DD) for many years (since TI7 [or was it 6?]).
    I am now using TI10. I've been quite happy, but recently have bought a new laptop and upgraded a desktop.

With the hew hardware, TI10's boot disk doesn't recognize the new HD controllers in these 2 systems. The safe version will (as will the downloaded 'multi-param' boot disk (from TI11, I believe). Unfortunately, with either boot disk, I am not able to access network drives. Not too big an issue, since I can access them by running TI from within Vista.

However, I anticipate that I will eventually have to upgrade. I am somewhat loathe to do so, given that most of the reviews I've read regarding 2009 are not good. Not good at all. Many unhappy customers where TI 2009 is concerned.

I do realize that many of those who are unhappy may be technologically challenged and thus are dis-satisfied. That being the case, I thought it might be prudent to solicit opinions from a more knowledgeable group (i.e., the Acronis group).

So, what does the majority of those who actually know say about 2009 (and TI 11)?

It would be nice to hear valid opinions from those who are technologically skilled.

Thanks!

2. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

I'm the same as you, when I saw the recent build 9646 I decided to chance ditching my trusty v10...

So far, couple of minor issues that were solved within minutes via the LIVE chat support and I've run many incrementals and even restored my main C:Vista partition yesterday just as a true test.

I do like the new interface so so far I'm reasonably happy and hope Acronis continue to resolve other issues.

3. mranybody

mranybody Registered Member

I'm very happy with v2009 after having a nightmare with v11. I was really on the edge of giving up on Acronis and hesitated for a while before upgraded. I have zero regrets.

v2009 is a breeze for me. I'm a Vista Dell vanilla setup that's a year old, and - as Fedorov999 says - apart from a few minor things that have been easily cleared up I have no problems.

I'm not tech skilled - just your average user, and what has also impressed me is the Support offered through Live Chat.

4. Faust

Faust Registered Member

TI 2009 simply rocks - no real issues very fast both to back up and restore even using the Linux environment, so one very happy TI customer. :D

5. WOEHAA

WOEHAA Registered Member

The first releases of TI2009 completely sux in my case.
    The cure was the 9.646 update AND the killing of the Distributed Link Tracking Client services of my WinXP (tnx to this forum for the help)

So .. atm it all works as it should be.
    But Acronis really should keep doing their home work. For one thing, I still don't trust the uninstall of the software.

6. oldaussiedog

oldaussiedog Registered Member

TI 2009, build 9646 functions quite OK for the primary tasks I use it for, which is creating and restoring from full partition or drive backups. Because the PC in question is used for software testing, it gets frequent restores (it's easier than uninstalling software and cleaning up) and I have probably already done more than 30 odd OS partition restores on TI 2009 since I upgraded from TI 11, all without problems.

In the main I create all of my backups from the installed Acronis program, saving them to either another internal drive, or to an external USB drive, and it does this well.

I most often also restore from the installed program from an image stored on another internal drive, and less often from the External USB drive. Very infrequently I restore from a bootup on either the recovery CD, or a recovery system on a USB flash drive. The image used for the recovery here is usually taken from an External USB hard drive. This is a little slower but again no significant problems.

It does have a minor problem if you boot from a recovery CD and write an image of an NTFS partition to an External USB drive that is FAT32 format. The image itself is OK, will validate OK and can be restored from OK, but it has a time stamp error where the file time is in error by the amount of the time zone shift from GMT (which has been the case for a few versions now).

I cannot comment on problems with some of the other added features, incremental, differential, scheduling, file backup etc, because I don't use them, but I do get the impression that this is where many of the problems occur.

I have tried making and backing up from images written directly to a DVD, both from the installed program and also from a bootup on a recovery CD. All I can say is it worked OK, however my opinion is that it is really only practical if the image fits on a single DVD, and the only time I use this approach is to backup a brand new operating system installation for the first time (before any applications are installed).

7. BChat

BChat Registered Member

I have been happy with ATI 2009 also. I have done several backups and restores, all without issue. I do full disk back ups and full disk restores, all are done manually. I use it on Vista 32 and 64 bit drives - works fine with both.

I also had the chance to install it on a Windows 7 32 bit drive, works OK. I could not get it to install on the Windows 7 64 bit drive, but the ATI 10 version did.

All in all, works for me, and looks like it will work on the next Windows release too, at least the 32 bit version.

8. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

No problems here. All working as it should!

9. M_H

M_H Registered Member

Wow! I guess it's safe to upgrade, which is really kind of a relief. I've relied heavily on TI for many years now and would hate to have to find a new imaging software.

Thanks again for your responses,
    mh

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

There's the matter of the new version not doing the automated file management that was available in prior versions if you want to do Full backups -- you only get one. You only get to keep one unless you do the file managemnt by hand. Worse, any renaming or deletinon of tibs must now be done wtihin ATI so you can't use batch files to automate the management of tib files.

11. marchwood

marchwood Registered Member

See my post at Truly awful experience. However, perhaps the latest build has solved some of the problems.

12. M_H

M_H Registered Member

Not really an issue here, as I don't really do automated backups. I prefer to manage my backups manually. As for renaming and deletion, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I think I can adapt. See my response to marchwood for the issues I did have and the resolution.

13. M_H

M_H Registered Member

Yes, I read your thread earlier this morning. I haven't had those issues, but I did have serious problems with TI 2009 taking forever to analyze all my partitions (10) and also creating an image took 2-3 times longer than TI 10.

I was able to quickly resolve this after reading this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=223936

The last post was this morning by Acronis Support. It stated that chat support could provide resolutions for these issues. Sure enough, it quickly resolved both of my problems simply by disabling the Distribute Link Tracking Client service and installing the chat provided zipped download of SnapAPI.

I recognize that you haven't reported these issues, but for the sake of those who might be experiencing the same events.

As for the rescue disk, I haven't yet tried it (I just DLed and installed last night...latest build).

MH

14. Faust

Faust Registered Member

I have already covered this in the other thread I started concerning this issue. Whilst not as comprehensive as previous versions I grant you one can now do multiple full backups without it overwriting any. I don't think for the average PC user this is a live issue in any event. Most people would be more than happy with just one usable image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.