Geek Squad Check

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by cba321, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Does anyone know what tests the Geek Squad (Best Buy) run when they "clean" your computer of malware?

My home computer was hacked (I think) a while back and was full of trojans, viruses, spyware, etc. (some of which I got off). There was also a rootkit (which I could not remove) and possibly a really tough keylogger (which the hacker may have taken off).

I suggested to my dad that he should have the computer wiped clean and re-install everything, and then get the IP address changed. I went back to college thinking this would do the trick.

However, the Best Buy geek squad apparently convinced my dad NOT to have the computer wiped clean, and instead they did some "virus cleaner" option with 10 progams. I haven't seen the report yet because I'm at college.

Would this Best Buy "Virus check" thing (if any of you know what it is, I dont think thats the actual name) adequetly clean my computer of malware, particularily hacker programs? Do any of you know the tests they run?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Let me advise you about Geek Squad, stay the hell away from them. More than once they have been proven to go through personal files, add unneeded and unrequested programs to a system, and commit other unprofessional offenses. The store itself has been found committing unprofessional acts such as faking tv displays and quite a few other nasty things. Even if you do shop there, don't let Geek Squad anywhere near your system.

As far as your question, I have no idea what tools they use, possibly the same as most here do, like MBAM, any one of the antiviruses, and such. I took a system to them once in the last couple of years, and I quickly found out why they are the "Geek Squad"... they spent the majority of the time yapping about online games. They also left the systems that were there unattended and running, and by unattended I mean an aisle or more over from their desk talking and flirting with female workers. If I had not stayed close by there, who knows who could have just walked off with any of the machines.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Holy cow! http://www.geeksquad.com/services/computer/category.aspx?id=231

Their rates are gettin' close to the price of a new machine.

I doubt that the machine was hacked if it was behind a firewall of some kind. If at all possible, go to the link in my signature and run an online scan for software you may have installed with vulnerabilities. If your programs are not up to date, your just asking for trouble.

I have no idea what Geek Squad does to clean a computer, but it wouldn't hurt to double check with some of the good scanners mentioned here at Wilders.

Edit: You could also go through a malware removal procedure and submit a HiJackThis log to one of the forums mentioned in this post.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

God, now they're stealing your data AND you wallet, lol.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

could not agree more.When I was shopping at best buy for a external HDD the Line for the repair was very close to where the drives where at and couldn't help over hearing a laddie pissed off cause here laptop was not working correctly,I happen to look over and watched another worker flip a laptop over on its lid side on a hardwood surface with nothing soft under it to prevent scratches to the surface.It was enough for me to know not to ever bring my computer there.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Diagnostic & Repair (Virus & Spyware Removal) - $299
    Diagnostic & Repair with Backup - - - -- - - - -- $399

:eek: :eek:

My God, are there people willing to pay this?

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, you better believe there are, every single day. These are the "average joes" we talk about all the time here, they don't know any better and/or won't learn.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have often gone to fix computers at peeps houses. In the past a common scenario was they had some infection, and norton was on, sometimes out of date, sometimes not. I would spend a couple hours at least trying to clean up nortons terrible uninstall, only to reinstall it again after downlaoding a new version over dial-up. I rarely made any money because I felt so sorry for them. How can you charge someone a couple hundo that you rightfully should have been paid when all you did was remove a few virii and installed a new program.

I have since come to realize, especially today, that they are getting what they deserve. It is not hard to read up a little on basic security mechanisms, such as being careful when opening email or using an alternate browser. Yet many don't care. And honestly, most don't really care that they pay $75/hour to get it fixes. It is almost as if they expect to shell out a few $$ every year for just that purpose.

Strange.

Sul.

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

That's how i see it too. I have a work colleague that takes his system in 3 or 4 times a year to clean up the same mess over and over.

He never changes his ways and couldn't care less. I used to do it for him but those days are long over.

snowbound

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

A custom Spy Sweeper (for Geek Squad) I believe.

11. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Best Buy geek squad got 2 trojans and a keylogger off the computer (I dont know the specifics yet, I haven't looked at the report), I'm not sure how they did it when norton antivirus 2009, malwarebytes, superantispyware, spycop, spy sweeper with antivirus, etc. all failed to detect/remove them.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Interesting to see the report, esp if u can get the samples also.

13. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Definantely. When I get back from college I'll read up on it.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

And it sometimes comes down to one big game of Who Do You Trust? Who knows what Geek Squad did with the pc? When a box is out of your possession, a whole new realm of possibilities opens up. I think that is why so many of us are driven to learn how to take care of these machines ourselves. I had a cable internet guy come out one day a few years ago. He said he needed to "test" some things. I was on his back, peering over his shoulder, like we were Siamese twins. I didn't leave the room for a second. LOL!

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Geez! That sounds exactly like what I did :D. I'm telling the guy to not scratch the case and everything (I have an Antec P182). Plus my system is a bit customized so that the guy couldn't find an IE icon on the desktop to start the browser LOL! Firefox with NoScript didn't help matters either :p.

16. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Unfortunately they charged me $300 for something I'm sure many people on this forum could do lol. I'm glad its gone, but $300 seems a bit whack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.