'Geek speak' confuses net users

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks for that interesting link!

Related to "Geek Speak" as confusing, is the fact that most of these articles and even newsletters state the problem but don't address real solutions. This leaves the average user still in a state of mortal fear that pressing a key on her (her= her/his) keyboard will launch some unwanted this or that.

I looked at several other links on that BBC page and only one article addressed "vigilance." As I mentioned in another thread, I'm convinced that vigilance -- user awareness, alertness, common sense -- would prevent most of the unwanted intrusions.

Even here on the Wilder Forums -- and these forums are certainly the best on the web with very knowledgeable people in every aspect of security -- even here, discussions usually center around adding layers of protection, rather than looking at causes. A poster will write, "I've got a trojan," and there will follow suggestions for removal, and long lists of everyone's favorite anti-______ (fill in the blank) programs. This leaves the solution at the reactive level.

More helpful -- once the poster's system is back to normal -- would be to suggest that she evaluate her computing habits to help determine the cause of the intrusion:

1) does she understand file extensions and executables?

2) is she wary and alert about email attachments?

3) is she alert to the types of web sites visited and wary about installing programs? At this point in time, it seems safe to install programs a) that come in unopened CD cases; b) downloaded from reputable, secure web sites. I know that there are exceptions, but they are very few. If a user is not alert and knowledgeable about web surfing, she is open to attack and intrusion.

There are many other considerations in this category of awareness, alertness, common sense, of course, but it is a beginning.

So, if the poster would write back with an analysis of her computing habits/routines, a discussion with suggestions could follow which would be of great benefit to the readers on the forum -- much more than just an analysis of a hijack log or screen shot, IMHO. This would start users thinking at the proactive level, and not just left to flounder at the reactive level.

-Rmus

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rmus

Good thoughts.

Every new computer should come with a warning sticker.

Caution: Unless you protect yourself on the Internet by learning basic security precautions, you may be the victim of identity theft, losing your bank account, receiving large, unwanted phone bills, and complete loss of valuble data.

I would say a great number of Wilders members have encountered at least one incident involving malware.

You are correct in that computer users need to educate themselves. The fact is, most people don't have the time to "do it right". Other obligations call.

Forums like Wilders are doing their reactive part. Users will have to learn proactivity.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

That's too bad

Point taken. Case closed.

-Rmus

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rmus

I didn't mean for the case to be closed. :) There are many discussion threads here that address your concerns.

Any topic on security can discussed in detail here and is welcome.

My point was that people will have to do as you say, take an interest and want to learn.

Along with this, feedback to the forums is always appreciated and welcomed.

6. Caution: Unless you protect yourself on the Internet by learning basic security precautions, you may be the victim of identity theft, losing your bank account, receiving large, unwanted phone bills, and complete loss of valuble data.

I would say a great number of Wilders members have encountered at least one incident involving malware.

You are correct in that computer users need to educate themselves. The fact is, most people don't have the time to "do it right". Other obligations call.

Forums like Wilders are doing their reactive part. Users will have to learn proactivity.

Great post ronjur.....I second your motion

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I took the time to check out old threads - there are a few, but most of the posts focus on comparing the various products.

I think that your observation that "a great number of Wilders members have encountered at least one incident involving malware" would indicate that the immediate need is to provide help with their problem, and these forums certainly have some of the most knowledgeable people around to help.

That supports your conclusion that "Forums like Wilders are doing their reactive part," and that "Users will have to learn proactivity" -- on their own, I suppose...

Thanks,

-Rmus

8. controler

controler Guest

Why do you think OEM computer manufactures started including Recovery Disks?
    Well it was so the average user could put a disk in their CD-ROM drive and reformat their computer and restore all the original software without having to know how to use DOS.
    Then OH OH the theory about using shrink wrapped CD's from well known companies went down the tubes with HP installing Spyware on the machines they manufactured and recovery disks.
    Now if you look "Back" in old threads you will see Some of the Wilders Security Experts actualy wrote a petition to HP and that cured that problem.
    Yes that was "Proactive" In a BIG way. :D
    I still like and used HP laptops because at the time they had pretty much the same features as Dell but were cheaper. Now Dell has some great deals too.

Next problem came to head when more advanced users didn't want to include all the other usless software that came with the recovery cd's.

So then some other Wilders members complained to HP and they then started to include both the recovery cd's and a System Only CD. That was nice :)
    Where else will you find competing software makers working together to make their products compatiable? and the world a safer hex place to live?

P.S. Not bad for just rolling out of bed and no coffeee yet arggggggg LOL

Bruce

9. controler

controler Guest

Oh yes & one more thing

There are alot of Wilders members that load Beta software to try find bugs and make it a better product ;) So alot of the member problems you see are just that, problems trying to make a product better even if they end up reformating their drives bi- monthly

Bruce

10. cluessnewbie

cluessnewbie Guest

Yes, a lot of members here shouldnt really be using beta software.

11. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks for that info - do you have some links to those threads? In the past few days, I've looked at all 83 pages in this forum, but it's often difficult to judge just from the title of the thread what's there... o_O

Regards,

-Rmus

12. controler

controler Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.