GeckoLinux 421 Plasma review - It ain't no dragon

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a long, thorough review of GeckoLinux 421 Plasma 64-bit Static edition, an openSUSE-based and remastered distribution, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, 16 partitions, and multiple Windows and Linux installations, including look & feel, networking - Wireless and many associated problems, Bluetooth, Samba sharing and printing, multimedia playback, partitioning, package management and updates, applications, smartphone support - Windows Phone, Ubuntu Phone and iPhone, resource usage, performance, responsiveness, battery usage, suspend & resume, customization, various bugs and issues, overall value, and more. Sample freely.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/geckolinux-421-plasma.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks.
    I never saw the point of these "forks", better spend some time and tweak the original to your taste, or use something else.

3. sb56637

sb56637 Registered Member

Hello, GeckoLinux creator here. GeckoLinux is not a fork. The resulting system is unabashedly and apologetically openSUSE. The reason for this project's existence is to remedy some of the major flaws in the default configuration and distribution media that openSUSE officially ships. It does so by using openSUSE's (and Packman's) own infrastructure to build, configure, and even download GeckoLinux.

Thanks a lot to Dedoimedo for the review. I'm not entirely in agreement with some of the conclusions he arrived at, but I understand that hardware incompatibilities are indeed frustrating, albeit something that I can't change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.