GData Internet Security 2008 - experiences or reviews?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by markymoo, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Is there any reviews or any users experiences for GData Internet Security 2008 package or even the GData AV? The 2007 was little mentioned but the 2008 version seems to had even less coverage and doesn't seem to be well received, tested or reviewed, maybe not seen as a pratical solution due to it's slowness on home pc's and higher price despite it coming in the top 3 in malware tests. I at least expected to see a few reviews. Is the firewall any good? , if nothing spectacular then i still be interested in the GData AV product and get a seperate firewall solution. Detection aside i really liked the interface and they claim they have the quickest reaction to new threats.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Im running it on and off. I like it. Maby its a bit heavy but still accaptable just as eg. TMIS08, FSIS08 or KIS09 on my comp ;)

I like the interface the configuration options and the two engines seems to work good together. The firewall is easy to configure too and has a nice game mode :thumb: Me like, yes :argh:

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Used The trial for a while, And the detection is very good, would recommend running a PC with 2GB of ram or more with it tho.

Firewall is ok. but need to be configured.

And there are some bugs when using the firewall without game mode wile playing some games.

But all in all a good Product.

4. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Ran fine on my machine...not really many complaints but I didn't dig into it much.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i liked the software, ran fine on my machine...

i noticed, that 2008 was very similar to 2007, but it did have drastic improvements for performance/resource usage compared to 2007.

surely, worth a try. :)

6. markymoo

Thanks for those. I forget to mention i been using NOD32 for long time but it time to let go of it. It still is an excellent product but i lately been using Avira and despite a few false positives it does seem to have the edge and better detection from the comparative malware tests. Avira has also a light footprint. The GData resource hog shouldn't be a problem for me so it down to the features and detection. It's a toss up between Avira and GData.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Well, heres how i see it.

If you want to detect 99.9% Of Detected " In the wild malware " Then get G-Data

If you want to detect 70% Heuristics then get Avira.

For Heuristics nothing beats avira at the moment and with 2 scanning engines G-Data catches almost all known " In the wild " Viruses.

So its your choise.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's one of my favorites along with kav & f-secure, been using their AV 2008 for several months now (still valid subscription) but i swapped it recently in favor of new kav2009 which i decided to try.

GData '08 was a huge improvement over previous releases regarding to performance and resources usage. I don't know about their suite but i do surely recommend the AV :thumb:

9. markymoo

Trying the suite trials properly again of Avira and GData i am not overly impressed with the firewalls. They would not detail or export a report of what's going in and out of the firewall in live time. They possibly sufficient as a general firewall but details were sparse. I look into a better firewall maybe Comodo as it a true x64 firewall. NOD32 SS at least i know of examined every packet and had good report. The speed of GData AV part was acceptable only during the 25min scan the pc was sluggish to use. Setting up a seperate time to scan while not using pc is advisable. GData puts a browser toolbar so you can easily disable popups, java which was neat. During the 2 days i was using GData suite my browser became frequently unresponsive and then the whole windows would completly lock up. A reboot was the cure. Disabling the Webfilter and Firewall and other options didn't solve the lockup but removing GData did. Next up i will try out the Avira and GData AV but I think best approach is to use the lighter Avira as the GData is still heavy on my fast pc which i had in mind to use. I think now a combination of good on the fly scanners such as the excellent AVZ Antiviral Toolkit,GMER along with sandbox and HIPS and have the light footprint. I am using x64 Windows so that is good protection against rootkit activiity already. On consideration these internet suites have several features i don't need. I will also closer inspect the new KAV 9 and F-Secure. I used Kapsersky in past as it always had the best unpacking engine of exe's at the time. I would actually prefer the false positives of Avira if they flag correctly exe packers used that are not a nasty.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  10. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I can't tell that its any lighter than before. It slows down my pc with my older P4 3.06 Ghz with 2GB of DDR RAM. Any AV that logjams that cpu, is heavy my friends. It may be older, but it runs Vista just fine, if that tells you anything. :D

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

In May comparatives Antivir is huge over Gdata? 72% for Antivir vs 29% Gdata

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

that's for heuristic detection ;)

13. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I agree with you. GData is best because it always combines two top of the notch av engines.

But if flags Mwav as trojan.gen, bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.