Gator Becomes Claria

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by minacross, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

yeah.. I read about this...

It's just a case of a wolf attempting to don the clothing of a sheep. Nasty wolf! *spank spank*

ffs

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Looks like it's time to revise the banner!

[move][glow=red,2,300]GATOR/CLARIA IS SPYWARE!!![/glow][/move]

4. JayK

JayK Poster

Can we call claria spyware?

5. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

If you want :D

changing their name from one to another doesn't fool me into thinking that their corporate greed and disrespect for peoples right to privacy
    has changed in any way shape or form :mad:

To me Gator is Claria, and Claria is Gator, and i shall remember them as such for evermore,
    plus any other company names they want to sellotape to their companies letter header

not very forthcoming with specifics are they- could mean anything

Attached Files:

6. JayK

JayK Poster

Without being sued ?

7. spydespiser

Just lost me post again :mad:

I know,i know, its my fault :( :D

If for whatever reason you are uncomfortable calling it spyware, call it spamware, crapware or whatever else you perceive it to be in your own opinion

I'm not going to re-type it all so basically, i have viewed site,read Oct 2003 EULA, took the tours, read the policies, yada ,yada

for reasons indicated in red on screenie

As they are not able/willing to clarify the extent/purpose of their "collect and use" "information" statement, i view this as an invasion of my privacy

The
    "web pages viewed"
    "time spent at pages"
    "software on my PC"
    "use, characteristics,preferences of software"
    are of absolutely no concern to gator/claria or any other company who is only interested in profit making(by any means necessary)

if all they wanted to do was advertise a few pop-ups for companies, all they have to do is have it pop-up every so often
    but no, the program pops it up while you are viewing a competitors page and then they "collect and use" the information on the "web pages you viewed"(by this i mean, the pages you originally out of freedom of choice chose to view in the privacy of your own home)

i.e
    I have only just had a landline put in for internet purposes, only 4 companies should have record of this new unlisted number(BT, BTYahoo,AOL,ZOOM) and all were instructed in no uncertain terms not to SELL,GIVE or USE my number as it is only for my internet and 2 members of my family

Guess what: -I got cold called the other night off a Mortgage company who claimed i gave them permission to do so 18 months ago :mad:

I have only had the number a few week, and i don't have anything to do with mortgage companies

Draw your own conclusions

create your own views, this is only mine, but i can assure you of one thing

You have no privacy in this life, nor will you have in any other

Oh yeah, and as for them suing me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Get in line :p :p cos the queue is purty looonng :p :p :D
    SpyD :cool:

P.s wandered off topic a bit due to losing original post: apologies :D

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Obviously you don't seem to get the point I'm making.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15312

9. spydespiser

Hi Jayk :)

I am aware of the information in the thread you linked which is why my "opinion" was in that thread also

musn't be o_O

You ask:"can we call it spyware" and "without being sued"

>"We haven't been sued, but we've heard that other companies are being sued for saying this and that, so we've changed our language"

So they haven't changed their opinion then ,just the wording

>The distinction between such "adware," which can report back to its creator with information about the computer user's surfing habits, so as to allow for supposedly more effective ad serving, and "spyware," which similarly monitors surfing habits and serves up ads, is sometimes a hazy one, and lies at the heart of Gator's libel suit.

Hazy as hell if you ask me, but then i'm not a 200k a year lawyer who specializes in twisting words and terminology into whatever form suits my clients best at whatever given moment
    (no doubt i'll be sued for slandering lawyers too now :D)

>Gator maintains that its software differs from spyware in that people are clearly notified before they download it, and in that they do so in exchange for a service, like the peer-to-peer software.

in what way?

oh, i get it, because they tell you first, its not spyware o_O

If somebody commits a crime but notifies the victim first is it any less of a crime, do we have to re-label him for fear of being sued?

If i was working on somebody's house, but rifled through private documents or stole something, would i be innocent because i was providing a service at the time? No i would still be a thief

These are broad examples for simplicity, but to me, what is' is

>For its part, PC Pitstop said that, whatever the terms of its settlement, it continued to target Gator's software on people's computers.

>"PC Pitstop detects a variety of situations that we would consider problems, including certain software that we didn't think was in the best interest of the end user," said Dave Methvin, chief technology officer for the Web-based start-up. "We currently detect and recommend removal of Gator."

Business as usual then :D

>companies like Gator are collecting information without sufficiently accounting for what they do with it.

Spyware if you ask me :mad:

>"If we find anyone publicly calling us spyware, we correct it and take action if necessary,"

That would be me then :p take a seat, you'll be a while!

>Gator said it would take on its critics on a case-by-case basis.
    Looks like you'll be too busy to write any more spyware then doesn't it! :D

P.s. Is this the face of concern? :p

From what the article says

PCPitstop has agreed to re-phrase Gators *%@ware
    Gator only wants to be not labelled spyware, it doesn't go to any great lengths to argue that it isn't spware
    PCPitstop and others will still continue to "target" Gator/Claria

I think that should cover it

Regards and best :)

Edit- If Paul or any of Admin would like me to re-phrase Gatorware for the purpose of this discussion, just say so
    thanx :cool:

10. beetlejuice

Since i'm the one who made the banner, I hereby take full responsibilty for using my RIGHT to FREEDOM of SPEECH as granted to me by the CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA. The responsibility for the opinions I have expressed, is mine and mine alone. Wilders.com, and/or Wilders.org, its creaters, and/or administrators, shall not be held liable for any of my actions.

So :mad:Claria/Gator, :mad: if you want to :p sue :p me then, so be it.

But I'm not going to change my opinion, or the banner* either!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

*unless instructed to by the Admins of this board.

:rolleyes:Sorry folks. But I call 'em like I see 'em!!! ;)

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

beetlejuice,

...that's in our TOS indeed ;)

We won't instruct you to do so ;). That said: it's OK to agree to disagree. All who are participating: please respect different opinions, keep it friendly and factual. The one and only way to discuss issues ;)

regards.

paul

12. JayK

JayK Poster

You guys are *sO* brave, posting under a fake name. o_O

I'm a coward, I shall call gator adware . I shall call Claria spyware since they didnt say we can't/

13. spydespiser

Hi Jayk :)

o_O

Why? whats so fake about it? o_O

Extract from Privacy/TOS
    >You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. We at this YaBB forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you.

I have read,understood and fully agree with the TOS

I was aware of these TOS's before my initial posting and am still aware of them now ;)

regards :)

14. beetlejuice

o_O

I don't need to give them my name! When I was a young, stupid, computer user, I had Gator. That was, of course, before I found Wilders and found out what Gator really was. So, they've already got my name. :p It's up to them to try to sort through their list of-Oh, I don't know, 10s of 1,000s of names to find mine. All I can say is "Happy Hunting" :p
    My lawyer is standing by. :D Ahh, who needs lawyers? o_O If they mess with me I'll just turn them into an octopus or something. :eek: Just ask Acadia. :D :D :D

15. spydespiser

pleaseNote: this quote has only just decided to appear in my browser, think its time to go back to Opera or something, so was not aware this comment existed till now
    :D :D

If it makes you more comfortable Jayk, Go for it :D

the world is your Lobster :D :D

and there is nothing cowardly about not wanting to publicly label it as such, ;)

i am not here to say we should all continue to label it as spyware even though they have threatened legal action against those who do

i am merely saying that i still view it in my own opinion as being such

regards

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's keep it cool here guys; I think we can all agree that Gator/Claria has done nothing positive for any of us. Any argument about the semantics of it all are pretty pointless.

17. spydespiser

We're Cool :D

:cool: :cool: :cool:
    SpyD Jayk Beetlejuice

:D

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I can't say that I woulda ever considered any of you as anything other than cool ;)

19. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Gator/Claria deserves a hard kick on their a**! :D hehe.

Javacool:Take that! POW! :mad:
    Gator/Claria:OUCH! :'(
    Javacool:You deserve that! :)
    Everybody:YAY! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.