Gaming the AV-C and AV-Test Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by qakbot, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

There is a growing concern that certain AV vendors are gaming the On-demand tests run by AV-C and AV-Tests. Does anyone have any such concerns.

I just see way too many cases where companies are getting 100% detection, not 99.9%, not 99.6% but a full 100%.

I'd like to understand if any of the reviewers on this board, AV-C, AV-Test can confirm this.

There are many ways I can think of that certain vendors are gaming this test. Notably,

1. Attempting detect the IP address range used by these reviewers and having special cloud handling for any cloud-requests coming from these machines.

2. Detecting X positives detections in the last Y files, which puts the product in a special 'aggressive' mode.

3. Detecting filenames and pathnames of a certain format like those used by reviews e.g. C:\FF\33\82\A9\....\FF3382A9.....exe where the FF33 is the hash of the file.

Other similar techniques..

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I doubt it. You have to understand that no one has reached 100% in any on-demand test. It was 99,9% but never 100% (at least as far as i'm aware of the tests). 100% was in real-world monthly tests where every file is actually executed and in this test, samples size is much smaller, meaning it's much likely for someone to score 100% than on on-demand tests with several 100.000 samples.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Certain products do sometimes have extra large signature updates around the time of testing; so it's definitely possible. But IMO, to have resources dedicated to this is just wasting talent; AV-Test and AV-comparatives release results at different times of the year so it would mean having people track machines year round. Not exactly worth it when there's a lot of real world malware going around.

Also, it's not a guarantee that the same internet connection is used every time, and samples are provided to the vendors only after the test. So how would they know what the file is named?

4. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

How does anyone ever manage to get infected when all the antivirus companies score 99.999 on all the tests?

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

How about 0-day malware?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

These are on-demand tests. In proactive tests, they usually detect far less in around 50-70%.

7. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I totally believe that a good antivirus can detect 99% of yesterday's malware. People get infected with today's malware.

Those figures only show that on demand scan is just 20% of what an antivirus should do. It's important but not enough.

8. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Just a question for OP. If symantec got 99.9% on an AVC test, would you be suspicious of them? : )

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Sometimes, you also see the situation where a product with 99%+ score doesn't detect/stop what a lesser rated product does. Just goes to show on-demand scans aren't everything. :)

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

We look very hard to avoid gaming in the tests. We are also using methods, to avoid gaming like mentioned above and others. If you have a look at the results, no vendor has ever reached a 100% score in a file detection test performed by AVC.

11. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I believe this.

If a testing company were to lose credibility in a material and credible way, that would cost them money.

Money is a good driver to attempt to produce a fair product.

12. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Gaming these tests is most likely possible, however the people who are smart enough to figure it out are working for government or private clients and not working in anti-virus company's. Anyone that smart would look at anti-virus as unnecessary and for stupid people.

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Even if "some" AV etc detects 99.9% even EVERY day, which i Very much doubt !

Out of the "supposed" 80,000 new nasties released Every day, that equates to 80 missed Every day X 365 days = 29,200 per year missed. Even if it were half the 80,000 it's still = to 14,600 missed every year !

Now calculate for less that 99.9% & you'll seen realise why Lots of people still get blasted Every day around the world, & will continue to with just AV.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you say so:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.