Gamer's, of which I am one, are either nutz or rich

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Mar 26, 2015.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I am a gamer as well, but in my opinion, this is just unnecessary to have.

Even just running one of those is ridiculous, especially at that price point.

Maybe if it was more affordable, I would definitely snag one.

Plus, the moment someone buys one of these, something bigger and more powerful releases soon after, making these cards obsolete.

But, it is pretty impressive and it amazes me how far graphics cards have come.

I remember freaking out when I first got a 3DFX Voodoo 4mb video card and being amazed how fluid Wolfenstein and Asteroids ran on my rig hahaha :)

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

My $1200 gaming laptop from 2012 is still more than enough tyvm.

4. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

The Titan X is a pretty epic card. Can play all games at max/almost max at 4k with a single card and still achieve 50+FPS. And now there are rumors of a 980Ti being 10% faster than TitanX's. If true, the timing of the 980Ti seems pretty poor to me. The race to 8k that Nvidia and AMD talked about a few months ago might actually hold true.

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

A true gamer builds his rig, and he can do 4k at a fraction of that price.
    That said, 2.5k (x1440/1600) is a visual feast and a GTX 980 is enough.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

To be a gamer you don't have to be nuts or rich, but it doesn't hurt to be willing to spend more cash than wise in your circumstance dictates, and a willingness to practice practice practice.

7. CrusherW9

I've been eyeing those 27" 1440p 144Hz monitors, especially the XB270HU. The problem is justifying the price.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I don't have time to build a computer so I had a computer built to my spec. When I had my computer built the parts manager tried to sell me a new 27" moniter, I have a 22" monitor which works just fine.

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Even though x1440 is desirable, a good 24" IPS x1080 is still a more than valid choice for gaming/multi-purpose and can be had for €200 (good x1200s are more expensive). It will save you money on the GPU as well.

10. CrusherW9

I already have a couple of those but it's about time for an upgrade ;)

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

yeap, I know the feeling.

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's insane, I currently own a Acer Predator and I see that so called "high end" versions are priced between 1500 and 2000 euro, who in their right mind would pay so much for a PC? You don't actually get that much more, you get a high end GPU and a bigger SSD, that's it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  13. CrusherW9

The majority of games are bottlenecked by the gpu. Get a faster gpu, get higher fps. Going from something like a 750Ti to a 980 is a SUBSTANTIAL increase in performance. In the case of gaming at least, you really do get a lot more (there's obviously a point of minimal gains but we're talking multi-gpu setups at that point). Also, in the Predator series, you're getting double the ram and most likely a more powerful power supply to handle the higher end GPU's.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  14. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I'm still impressed by my Apple II. It doesn't even have a graphics card, or even a graphics chip!

15. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

When I was a gamer, I was always one who chose a particular place on the price/performance graph.

16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

The Acer Predator AG3-605-UR1H Gaming Desktop available on Amazon for $1099 is perhaps the biggest bang for the buck in gaming rigs IMHO and fully adequate for most anything.

Intel Core i7-4790 Processor (3.6 GHz)
    12 GB DDR3 RAM
    2 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 Graphics with 1.5GB of Discrete Video Memory
    Windows 8.1

I used Gateway F/Xs for years after ACER took over Gateway. Think I bought two of them, the second after I tried to install a new sound card and blew -it and my monitor only showed the color green :) The F/X was a USA re-branded Predator that Gateway sold for cheap to regain a foothold in the US market for the Gateway Brand. They were around $900-$1,100, had fast processors, decent GPUs and a 500W PSU that cried out for a GPU upgrade. In my last one I installed an Nvidia 580 GTX with 3 GBs of memory. Was the the top of the line Nvidia single GPU in the Nvidia line (Some might say the 2 GB 580 was because it had a slightly faster clock speed but I needed the 3 GBs for working with Hi Rez Textures.) In any event, at the time it was an expensive card. The GTX 760 in this ACER is no slouch, it's 20%+ faster than my old GTX 580.

But I have to admit the new Acer Predator AG3-605-UR11 looks delicious :)(despite it's having the controversial GTX 970 - only 3.5 Gbs of it's memory is fast, .5Gbs is there for overflow-a class action suit has been filed against Nvidia over misleading advertising respecting the GTX 970 memory claims and performance issues)

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 4.0GHz
    Windows 8.1
    16GB DDR3 Memory
    256GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX970 Graphics with 4GB of Discrete Video Memory
    6X Blu-ray Disc™/DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer Combo Drive

A bit pricey though, $1,500, but cheap in relation to others with similar specs.

(BTW: Rich and upper mid class peeps, to whom it's chump-change, "in their right minds" pay 1,500-2,000 euros for the higher end machines.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  17. Rasheed187

@ hawki

I'm jealous of you guys, seems like PC's are way cheaper in the US, in Europe they are ripping people off. I would gladly pay 1200 euro for the Acer Predator AG3-605-UR11. I payed 800 euro for mine, which is of course a lower end version.

Luckily I'm a not hardcore gamer, I do wonder if I can play newer generation games, still need to test that. BTW, they are now selling the Asus ROG G20AJ over here, WITH a SSD.

http://www.wehkamp.nl/elektronica/d...p=96&Blocks=0&Ns=V&NavState=/_/N-1xe2&IsSeg=0

18. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Not sure PCs are way cheaper here.

You would basically be paying $250USD/232 EU for the SSD on that one compared to closest US model

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-de...lack/8448204.p?id=1219334565885&skuId=8448204

BTW: Not sure ASUS ROG is a good choice. I am currently using the above model from Best Buy. I really like it, BUT this is my third one I have had. The first two had dead on arrival GTX 760's, a not uncommon issue. Luckily, Best Buy has a 30 day replacement policy on ASUS GR 20s.

I desperately needed to have a PC immediately while Best Buy tried to find me a replacement for the others, and had to buy one of these.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ro...lack/2861119.p?id=1219562538878&skuId=2861119

It was surprisingly capable for 5 hours until I tried to recharge an electric cigarette through one of it's USB 3 ports - that totally blew out the electrical system. It is a low powered PC. Was probably my fault, but every other PC I have owned had no problem with doing that.

So I have to admit. I still have not gained full confidence in my ROG. Every time it starts I get down on my knees and kiss the floor :)

My confidence level in it is so low that when I can I'm gonna buy the $1088 ACER Predator from Amazon as a back-up.

From all the customer reviews on the major online seller's websites it appears that approx. %15 of ROGs arrive doa or soon develop issues. But everyone who gets a good one that is still working loves it and gives it a 5 star rating.

It's far more than sufficient for all my office/gaming needs.

19. Rasheed187

Trust me, it's cheaper. In Holland you would probably pay between 1800 and 2000 euro for the Acer Predator AG3-605-UR11. And I know about the troubles you had with the Asus, but I mentioned it because in Holland they at least do offer a standard SSD. BTW, which ACER Predator are you going to buy?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.