G-Data Newest Product Version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G Data Ed

G Data Ed Registered Member

It's just what we do...We always introduce our new product releases in March/April of each year.

2. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Like the changes in the GUI...very nice job with that. Just a few subtle changes which keep the look and feel similar, yet more intuitive.

3. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

I don't like it. It looks too cramped and you can't increase the main gui. I was hoping for a new funkier gui. Whether the user will have the option if desired to increase the main gui with future builds - I hope so.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yay, new version :rolleyes:

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

No offence, but what's the logic of releasing a 2012 version in March/April 2011? I mean, releasing a 2012 version in Q4 or the end of Q3 okay but this. Won't it be better to use just normal version numbers instead then?

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

They've been doing it for years :rolleyes:
    Marketing? Improvement? Who knows, but it's not like it was an unethical/bad thing :D
    As long as they perform good it's all right :thumb:

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. I've said this with another vendor whose marketing wisdom seems to follow similar lines. If the product was released in the fall (autumn to us Brits) one could understand it, but so early on in the current year, it's a bit weird.

8. G Data Ed

Hi worried8,

First of all, I tried sending this message to you via Private Messages, but you are not set up to receive them...

We received your message requesting help, and we want to help, but you didn't leave a phone number and the email that you gave us (ec229@gmail.com) is invalid.

We cannot respond to your help request without valid contact information.

Please understand that the support contact information on www.gdata-software.com is for North American support ONLY. Other countries may be added at some point in the future, but for now, it is just for North America. If you live outside North America, please go to your respective country's G Data website to obtain Customer Support contact information. You can be directed to your country's G Data website by going to www.gdatasoftware.com and selecting your country.

Thanks!

9. G Data Ed

My dear and highly respected colleages in Germany put this naming convention in place many years ago. So, we cannot really have two straight years of 2011 products to get back on correct timing...

At the end of the day, our total focus is to produce the absolute best anti-virus/malware product in the world. We have demonstrated, over the years, that we are consistently at the top of the ratings charts. With YOUR HELP and input, we can only get better.

We very much appreciate and welcome your constructive criticism.

10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Gdata have always demonstrated great results. But I have some very small requests.. Is it possible to make the product more resource friendly..and also if possible get some cloud scanning and small HIPS component as well? Internet security suites are heavey as it is and then if we need to install a seperate say a HIPS or antikeylogger then its a big load.. So it will be great to have a product which has some layered security incase the signatures miss a given threat..or even a startup manager inside the product or a small app control component would do great..IMO:rolleyes:

11. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

G Data already has assist from the cloud. And next to that, G Data will probably never HIPS (thank god, I don't like HIPS), since they aim for families and people who aren't really computer experts.

Including a startup manager, please not, msconfig/CCleaner or whatever can do the job.

12. G Data Ed

Thanks for the input, Kernelwars. We have cloud scanning and antikeylogger built in to all of our product suites. My opinion is that we compare quite favorably in the area of system resource utilization. I would let others on the forum chime in. They may be able to give you pointers on fine tuning...

13. G Data Ed

HIPS is definitely something we are looking at in the area of business/enterprise solutions. However, currently, it is not one of the added features for the 2012 lineup.

14. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

Hello.
    I by litsenz for G Data Antivirus 2011, but do not use it because the version is still heavy and slows my surfing Internet (i use Windows 7 \ 64 bit). When installing G Data Antivirus ,WindowsDefende do not turn off automatically .I send one letter to G Data suport and they told me" it's even better for me".
    Everybody know that when you install Antivirus ,Windows Defender must be automatically Turn Off. (at least most antivirus do).
    I hope in this 2012 version to be removed and become a possible "light".If not... i do not throw money on the wind!

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

In the past the two main problem areas for me with GData AV have been the support and the heavy feel/performance of the program. Thankfully both of these areas have improved considerably of late.

1. Support in the past for non-German customers has been very slow or non-existent. However, this seems to be on the rise. The USA site looks promising and Ed (aka G Data Ed) is taking an active part here. I have been in touch with their support by email today and received a reply back within minutes answering my query/problem.

This was from a Mr Ben Schatter who told me that support should considerably improve as it is now in-house rather than through a third party customer service provider. Ben seemed very helpful and answered 4 separate emails within a short space of time, so for me anyway dealing with GData has improved considerably. Ben is also hoping to drop in to Wilders and make some contributions to the Gdata threads- aka G Data Ben. Overall, Gdata are very keen to hear how they can improve their programs and their support to customers.

2. I could never run the two engines in real-time before as they were just too heavy and slowed down my machine; however with the latest version they must have carried out some tweaking as I can now run the two scanning ALL files on a 2-year-old laptop. Also I believe that in the new 2012 version there are further settings for the Monitor to lighten the system load.

GData support also confirmed that;

* you cannot upgrade the trial to the full version at the present time but this will be corrected with the new version.

* The two engines in the new version will stay as BitDefender and Avast.

So great detection, now allied with lighter performance and better support bode well for the future of GData, IMHO.

16. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

:doubt: I've run G-Data off and on for the last year. The only difficulty I have had is if I keep the web protection enabled it has a definite effect on browsing speed and makes streaming audio almost impossible. If I disable the web protection, I don't even notice it's there.

17. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I'm running Private Firewall, Returnil Pro and G-Data. This may sound silly what one has to do with the other but I noticed Returnil was using twice as much resources as normal. I unchecked the "Bahaviour Monitor" and left HIPS on in Private Firewall and rebooted and nothing changed.

I then turned off HIPS in FW and turned the "Bahaviour Monitor" back on and rebooted and Returnil is back to normal. I then installed Process Hacker to see what I could find and I found this (see screen shot). It doesn't show like this in Task Manager, it shows 17,000 in TM. Isn't this awfully high.

Attached Files:

18. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Just downloaded the internet security version....I was expecting to feel loaded but to my surprise, initially, feels pretty light...nice! We shall see....

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

G-data has a behavior blocker which IS a HIPS. There are several types of HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Protection Sytems) and a behavior blocker is one of them.

Your hang-up probably has to do with "classic" HIPS, such as D+ and Malware Defender.

A behavior blocker generally is less configurable & has more "AI" than does a classic HIPS. Those aspects are the reason why behavior blockers require less user intervention than is the case for classic HIPS.

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I know, but basically everyone on this forum makes the distiction between a behavior-based HIPS and a classis HIPS, and calling them respectively behavior blocker and HIPS.
    HIPS = Host-based Intrusion PREVENTION System

Also there is quite a big difference between them.
    HIPS is at application level, a program is allowed to do this, but not that (the user decides ofcourse).
    Behavior blocker is more clearcut: or the whole program is allowed, or the whole program is blocked (after it has gone through a pattern of behavior).
    That makes a behavior blocker easier to use, since it will give max 1 popup (if it does anyway, and not some kind of cloud assistance system makes the decision).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  21. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

Hi worried8,
    I'm just curious - what is the position of your taskbar?
    Please put it to the bottom of the desktop and try to open the dialog again.

Cheers,
    Ford

22. Cimmerian

Unless I misunderstand, I would say this is incorrect. I was trialing the InternetSecurity edition...which I wound up purchasing. I entered the new activation code in the trial version, and it activated to the full version immediately.

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Trial and full versions are the same package, the only difference in the "trial" is that you can't get new virus signatures and/or updates beyond the 30-day evaluation period unless of course you buy a subscription. Correct me if I'm wrong.

24. Cimmerian

You're correct. Same package, you choose between trial or full version on install. No updates after 30 days.

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I could not upgrade from the trial to the full version of the standalone AV. This was after the 30-day trial period. When I queried this with Gdata support they confirmed this.

So maybe there is a difference between the AV and the IS version? Although even the updating between these two versions seems inconsistent if you look at worried8's posts in this thread. Any more news on this one Ed?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.